Networking for Dummies

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VishalArora, Dec 18, 2009.

1. VishalArora macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to all of this so please forgive my ignorance. I'm almost positive that this question has been asked and answered before but I've been searching and I don't know enough about this topic to even begin to comprehend half of the answers that people have gotten.

I just want a very simple yes/no answer. And if no, suggestions on the cheapest way to accomplish this.

I have a MBP hooked up to a 1TB Seagate drive. I want to make the files on that drive accessible wirelessly. I know I can use the Airport Extreme to do this.

Now, my question is, what if I'm not using the Airport Extreme as a wireless router. My computer is nowhere near my current wireless router and I cannot move my drive.

In other words, is there a way to get an Airport Extreme connected to an existing wireless network?

Thanks for your help

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You could pickup an Airport Express, plug the drive into it's USB slot. The AE will connect to your network and will be visible at that point. You may have to do a little more than that depending on what your wireless capable of and how it's setup.

3. jim.arrows macrumors regular

As long as the computer with the hard drive attached is on the same wireless network, you just need to share the hard drive in your sharing preferences; no need for any additional hardware.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't work. The AirPort Express cannot be used for sharing a drive. The USB port is only for sharing a printer.

5. rjdoc74 macrumors member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question. I currently have a non-AE wireless router and signal fluctiates a lot since I use my MBP a few walls away. If I buy A Epress, can I configure it to serve as a wireless network extender? Thanks for your help!

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I know that the AirPort Express can extend an AirPort Extreme Base Station (and visa versa), but I'm not sure if the AirPort Express can extend just any wireless router.

Edit: I just found this on the FAQ page for the AirPort Express...

So I guess the answer to your question is no.

7. rjdoc74 macrumors member

Thanks! Maybe another reason to upgrade. I have ATT Uverse that comes with it's own router/DSL box combo. I can connect AE via ethernet and turn off wireless on the native router or set up a bridge mode. If I need more range, I can pick up an A express and go from there.