Networking frustrations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheVandit, Nov 24, 2007.

1. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

Hey guys.
    My shiny new imac arrived a few days ago (my first mac). I love it!

but...i cannot no matter what i do connect it to the internet. Im using a Belkin 54g wireless router and connecting to tiscali in the UK. I do all the instructions the router says in setting up...fill in all my ISP info etc. The router is connected to the ISP but i open safari and nothing happens. I tried connecting wirelessly and by ethernet cable...still nothing. I run network diagnostics and all the lights are green until i get to internet where its red. It asks me to reset the modem and scans it then asks do i have a firewall or anything blocking it? to be honest i dont know?? theres no option to change that in router setup. I assume it doesnt mean the macs firewall as surely it knows about it own firewall?

I have a PSP and tried connecting to the internet on that...it said it was DNS server error. so i look up that in network settings...theres a greyed out number which u cant change but it isnt anything like the DNS number tiscali gave me so i just added them underneath. Theres so many things that could be wrong im tearing my hair out!

I spoke to apple and they said id done everything right as far as they could see...

I spoke to tiscali and the first person i got didnt kno what a mac was and kept asking if i was running vista!! then got another person who was more help but couldnt fix it then told me to speak to belkin and they couldnt't see what i'd done wrong either...

PLEASE PLEASE help! I understand its not easy to unless your here looking at it directly.

Its ruining the joy of my first mac!

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I'm by no means an expert, but it sounds like your router is f***ed. My roommate a couple years back had a Belkin 54G wireless router giving him a similar problem. He returned it, bought a Linksys something-or-other and the problem disappeared.

3. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Networking frustrations

I have also had my experiences with Belkin, and I won't buy Belkin ever again.

Had good luck with Linksys.

I'm curious have you consider an Apple Airport?

Very good luck, and reliable.

4. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

yeah I agree looks like router problem. Try to reset, unplug router and set it up from beginning. I had the same issue once (green lights up to internet and than red light) and had to exchange router. Also it happens sometimes in one of the coffee shops next to my place. And they also have Belkin 54. My mac just refuse to connect to internet.

5. TheVandit thread starter macrumors member

TheVandit

Hmm thanks guys...damning evidence!

Will try linksys...any particularly good model thats doesn't cost the earth?

6. TheVandit thread starter macrumors member

TheVandit

Got it working in the end...

You need to set it up on a PC using Internet Exlporer...only then can your mac connect to the network.

Shocked apple and belkin didnt kno!

7. Stolencheese macrumors newbie

I'd still reccommend getting a new router, I had a belkin router and it just suddenly died on me. I bought a netgear and it works perfectly!