Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uniqueusername4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
I have a "new to me" G4. When I GO > Connect to Server I see the 2 Windows 7 PC's that are on the same broadband firewall router, but I cant connect to the hard drives on those computers even though they are shared and can be read by other PC's. When I select one of the computers in the Connect to Server window, it shows the name of the computer, that it is part of the WORKGROUP windows networking and that the URL: smb:/ is 192.168.1.101. When I hit the Connect button a window pops up that needs my password and has the title SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authentication. Since I didn't set up OS X with a password, I just click OK and the error message "An error has occurred (error = 36)."

Any basic tutorials on Mac>PC networking or suggestions?

thansk, roger

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
G4 is a PowerPC CPU by IBM and Windows 7 is an OS by Microsoft.

What Mac OS X do you have? 10.3.x or 104.x or 10.5.x?
To find out go to :apple: > About This Mac.

Also when the Connect To Server dialog asks you for a password, it doesn't want the Mac OS X account password you currently use, it wants to know the user and password of the PC you're trying to connect to.

Guides on networking can be found via a search engine of your choice: "network Mac OS X (or 10.3x or whatever version your have) and Windows 7".

uniqueusername4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009

I dont have a password for W7 either, so it should work.

and here i thought Macs were easy peasy, everything happens automatically! ;+)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

I dont have a password for W7 either, so it should work.

and here i thought Macs were easy peasy, everything happens automatically! ;+)

Mac OS 10.2.8 is quite an old Mac OS version, even compared to Windows 7. But we already talked about this in another thread of yours and you getting at least 10.3.x, better 10.4.x.

Can you ping the Windows machine via Mac OS X's Terminal?

TERMINAL:

Last login: Thu Jul 30 02:02:14 on console
machine name:~ account name$ ping 192.168.1.101

uniqueusername4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
i think i'll stop asking questions until i have at least 10.4 on there, it seems like OS X 10.2.8 is kinda like Windows 98. :)

I tried the settings on the tutorial, same result, thanks for the suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.