Networking help !

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jdaniel, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Hi guys I don't know where exactly to post this so I figure here, but move it if it is in the wrong forum. I need advice on networking.

So I am based in Asia at the moment and I am using what they call fiber broadband, these run on fiber optic cables it terminates at a terminal in the house, and that goes to a optical terminal box which looks like an old school modem, from there it goes to a wireless router provided for by the ISP.

The service speed is about 150Mbps. The wireless router provided seems to be only single band, I get varying speeds but in the room I max out at 40ish Mbps but sometimes it goes down to 10 or 20. There are 2 computers in the house, mine is the only one that downloads and streams stuff. But if you count all connected devices it would be about 5 or so.

I have a Dlink router DIR825 which I flashed with DD WRT but I have not figured out how to program everything yet but when I tried it yesterday with stock firmware it was not performing at all, really slow. I was hoping if I up the power via ddwrt it would be better.

I need a solution for now, when I move it would be easy to fix with a wired and wireless combo solution for now I need a fix.

I need to maximise my bandwidth. Wiresless seems to be hopeless, the only really high speed one I see is buffalo 1750 which goes to 800 plus on ac, BUT their USB adapters don't work with mac. So with out ac on my mac I can't take advantage of it without an adapter.

I was thinking about one of those things that work on your power line. Goes from the router to an adapter into the power line. Then at a socket u can install the adapter and go wired or wireless to your mac. This could be good. If anyone know of a powerful solution for this pls let me know.

I need high powered solutions so pls feel post your recommendations etc

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Are you trying to maximize your Internet bandwidth only, or do you have local traffic like a NAS that you're using?

If you have 150Mbps Internet, then any connection over 150Mbps will give you as fast Internet performance as you're going to get, 800Mbps wifi with 150Mbps Internet = 150Mbps effective speed.

So, if it's just Internet you're concerned with there is no need for .ac, a good .n solution will be fine.

3. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I am using apple tv with plex, thing is the connection is shared. so I will never get anywhere near 150. Right now I am getting just under 40Mbps.... with this isp router..

4. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok guys anyone wanna chime in on how to support multiple devices?

I had my provider change my provided router, to an aztech dual band which is working much better I am getting 150Mbps on wireless on the 5ghz band which is a first.

My question is what affects my speed, say I have identical devices 4 or 5 of them all streaming media what affects the speed, the advertised ISP speed? In my case it is 150Mbps or is it the router's capacity to manage traffic?

Thanks guys