NETWORKING help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nortmansdad, Aug 6, 2008.

1. nortmansdad macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am about to move into a new apartment and was hoping someone could help me with some insight on setting up a LAN.

I am going to have 2 laptops, one with windows vista and one mbp, an xbox 360, and an Apple TV.

What I want to do is network all of these items together (wireless on the laptops, either for the 360 and apple tv.) i.e. transfer items between computers, not just share internet through a router.

How do I go about doing this? What router would be best to buy for this? Is there anything else I would need to buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Airport is out of question..... too many incompatibilities with 360....
    Netgear WNR2000
    Linksys WRT300N

Its the Internet sharing which requires more tweaking! Setting up the network is as simple as configuring the devices and telling them what to connect to!

Once you get a router.... post back and we'll help you (not that you'll need Im sure!)

P.S.: Netgear has an excellent wizard and I appreciate its quality as well!

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Any router does this. The easiest was would be with an Airport Extreme (N), as it has the built in Wired LAN and Wireless LAN, and will keep both interfaces connected connected, and appearing as though they are the same, allowing for transfers between all the items, and giving them all internet access.

I would suggest keeping the 360 Wired as Wireless may cause problems with online gaming.

TEG

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

A router would be your best solution for all of your devices. There are many available, but I prefer the Linksys (Cisco) brand as I have seldom had problems with them as far as connectivity.

With a router, you can do file sharing among your devices besides sharing an internet connection.