Networking IMac and windows 7 laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Martin29, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

I have my IMac and use it as my principal machine. Unfortunately for the moment I cannot afford to replace my Windows 7 laptop with a MBP. However, it would be great if I could access each of my existing machines from the other.. The Mac from the Laptop and the Laptop from the Mac..

Both machines are connected by WiFi to a Livebox giving me internet, and in the case of the Laptop, a wireless printer connection.

Is it possible to network the two machines as described? If so, is it possible to build my IPhone into the same wireless loop?

Any suggestions for this gratefully received.

2. dduggan macrumors newbie

Just turn network discovery / file sharing on, on the iMac and Win7 laptop. See this Mac 101: File Sharing article.

You will need to find an app from the App Store for you iPhone to get it in on the action.

3. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

Thank you ddugan,

Your help is much appreciated.

The Mac end of this seems straight forward and I've had no problems up to the point where I look for the windows network.. At that point I can see the network (it is the oneI'm using for my internet connection) but cannot 'see' the windows machine. Equally, the windows machine does not 'see' the Mac.

I'm obviously missing something simple.

Is it possible to create a new network from the Mac, and then for the windows machine to join that network as apposed to the the Mac joining a windows network?

4. dduggan macrumors newbie

You don't really get 'Windows' and 'Mac' networks as you describe. Devices communicate over the medium using different communication protocols. If they are speaking different languages, they don't see each other.

I think for Windows/Mac sharing, you have to make sure you have SMB sharing turned on on your Mac. It should then at least be able to see the Windows box. When you enable SMB on the Mac, you will have to enter your Windows username and password so that proper credentials can be passed between them.

5. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

Thank you again dduggan.

I now have access to my Windows box from the iMac. Strangely my Windows machine does not 'see' the Mac. Bizarre as they say in these parts :)