Networking iMac G3 & MacBook with Ethernet

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by XxThatSamGuyxX, Jan 26, 2009.

1. XxThatSamGuyxX macrumors newbie

I have an slot loading iMac G3 running Mac OS 8.6, a white MacBook running Mac OS 10.5 and an ethernet cable. Can someone help and give me instructions for file sharing?
    I've tried Chooser, Finder and a myriad of Preference panes but I can't find how to go about making one folder on each mac visible to the other mac.
    Thank you in advance :confused:

2. TheG3Guy macrumors member

TheG3Guy

well, this is because os 8.6 is .....a little....dated and it really is not compatible with os x at all. In order to file share....I would upgrade the imac to tiger, and then once sharing is enabled in the system preferences paine, it should appear on the finder of your macbook. I use this to connect my G5, G3, G4, and mac mini smoothly

3. XxThatSamGuyxX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. It had struck me that they might by incompatible, but I was hoping there'd be a way. Will the G3 run an OS as late as tiger, then?

4. p0mme macrumors newbie

p0mme

I have Tiger running fine on two G3 imacs. The OS comes on dvd though, not cd, and the G3 doesn't have a dvd drive, so you have to install using another computer as an external dvd drive.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I believe most of the slot loaders did have DVD drives.

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

it might have something to do with the cable itself. If the cable is one that you use with a router, then it's the wrong cable. There is a difference in network cabling for computer to computer and computer to router/modem. There are two wires crossed over in one type. You might need a different type of cable.

This is of course assuming that you're just trying to plug from Ethernet port to Ethernet port.