Networking issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ErikCLDR, May 24, 2007.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I have been having trouble with the network in my house ever since it was built.

In the basement we have a Linksys wrt54g router connected to a toshiba cable modem.

About 1+ times a day I will be using my computer and the airport signal will drop to 1 bar. And the internet will not work on my computer but it won't say anything. If I turn off airport and turn it back on, it takes about a minute to find the network. When the network comes up, it doesn't automatically connect. I select the network in the airport dropdown menu in the menu bar and it says "there was an error trying to connect to linksys".

I have dealt with this problem for ages. The problem occurs more when there are multiple computers wirelessly connect. So if my sister is home, this happens all the time.

Sometimes if you plug into an ethernet jack, the airport will jump up to full strength and then go down a normal level- depending on where you are in the house.

We've been through 4 linksys routers- 1 wired and 3 wireless. Buying a new one seems to help, but only for a little while.

Can someone please help me out.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It could be your gigantic house and other common braggable bling interfering. :p

Have you done any firmware updates on those routers? Does changing the channel help at all? What about resets, does that help temporarily as well?

3. reflex macrumors 6502a

Have you tried putting the router somewhere else? Sometimes basements interfere with wireless signals.

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Has it been the same router the whole time, and did you ever try it in another house?

If you answered yes and no, your router might be faulty.

5. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I've changed channels, I've rid the house of 2.4ghz telephones. This is so annoying.

I will look into firmware updates...

6. Patronus macrumors newbie

It may not be your base station, it may be your NIC's. Check to make sure you do not allow ad-hoc wireless connections and do not automatically attach to any available network. You may be drifting to a neighbor's signal (router or computer).

7. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I've changed the channel 6 from to channel 11 so we'll see how that works.

I don't think my neighbors internet could interfere, their house isn't very close and i've tried using my laptop outside.

If I am on the brink of in range/out of range would that have the tendency to affect ALL computers on the network?

8. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Gah this is driving me insane.

I need to figure this out.

SHould I buy a range extender and see if that helps?

9. fall3n macrumors 6502

Try using the computer while your right next to the router. Also try using your computer at a different location (a friends or coffee shop) that isn't on your network and see how things go. If you don't lose your connection then it's not your NIC card.

The fact that you say when extra computers join the network leads me to believe that when a new computer joins the network it's taking your current IP address rather then acquiring it's own. Do some of the tests I mention and let us know how it goes.

10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

We had a Linksys WRT54G, and it sucked. Connection would drop all the time, then a firmware update came out and fixed the problem. Might be the same issue?

11. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok this problem is still persisting and its really pissing me off.

To answer your questions:
    - Changing Channels: I tried it and it hasn't had much of an effect
    - Resetting: Helps temporally but doesn't last long- anywhere from 2 mintues to 2 days
    - I'm definitely not drifting to a neighbors signal (the houses aren't close enough) and I checked the settings
    - As for a faulty router I doubt it: We've already replaced them numerous times only to have the problem come back
    - My computer works fine on other networks

Where can I find a firmware update for the WRT54G?

12. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000