Networking issue (!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by placebo, Dec 27, 2007.

1. placebo macrumors member

OK ok.. this has been driving me (and my roommate) absolutely insane. Here's the deal:

I have a Farallon router that has an ethernet cord going from the modem to the router. Another cord going to my AIRPORT to the router and one more going to his computer (Windows) to the Farallon router.

The problem is that only one connection can get established, and most of the time it's the Airport getting it. We cannot get both computers connected to the internet. We've tested it to where both computers are hooked up through the Farallon router and it works, meaning both ethernet cords in to both machines, no wireless.

I KNOW the Airport is good because I had a network going with other PCs, but for some reason, when the Airport is plugged in it's disabling (I think) the PC somehow. Please help!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just to clarify, this is a router and not a switch, correct?

The modem is connected to the WAN port, and both your Airport Base Station and a friend's Windows computer are connected to the LAN ports, correct?

When the base station is connected to a router, the other router is already assigning IP addresses using DHCP and/or NAT, so these functions must be disabled in the Airport Base Station. To do this, go to Airport Admin Utility > select your B.S. > Manual Setup > Internet > Internet Connection > choose "Off (bridge mode)" for Connection Sharing.

3. placebo thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it is a router. I'm having trouble finding this setting in Airport Admin Utility application. I can find manual setup and everything but I can't seem to find bridge mode anywhere.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you using Tiger or Leopard?

5. placebo thread starter macrumors member

Tiger.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's unfortunate - all of my machines have Leopard, and I've forgotten where that option is in Tiger.

My only advice to you is to keep looking (it may not even be called Bridge Mode ...I can't remember).

Have you tried typing "bridge mode" into Help?

Maybe somebody with Tiger could chime in...

7. placebo thread starter macrumors member

Here's what I found.. I can't even select Internet Sharing:

Attached Files:

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You need to go to Applications > Utilities > Airport Admin Utility.

Then follow the directions I posted earlier (keep in mind, there may be slight differences between my system and yours).

9. placebo thread starter macrumors member

Here's how far I got.. there is a Manual option but it doesn't give me any sort of connection sharing option:

Attached Files: