Networking Issues - AEBS (n) + Netgear (b+g)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zarathustra, Sep 12, 2007.

1. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I need some help, please!

I have been all over the net trying to make this setup work:

DSL modem -> AirportExtreme BS (to be used in 802.11n-only) ->Netgear MIMO router (to be used in 802.11b+g only)

The two wireless routers each have a unique SSID.

Right now, I have both routers distributing IP addresses:

AEBS: 192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.0.2~199
    Netgear: 192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.1.200~254

Everything works as expected. I have a MacPro and MacBook connecting to the AEBS via 802.11n. There is a NAS attached via ethernet to the AEBS. I can connect to the NAS and the computers no problem.

On the Netgear side of things I have various b+g devices connecting to the internet and all is well.

Now, what I would like to accomplish:

I want to be able to connect to the AEBS network from the Netgear router and vice-versa. So that a PS3 on the b+g network can connect to the NAS on the AEBS and use it as a media server. Or I can use my wife's laptop to VNC into my MacPro.

I tried everything under the sun - turn DHCP off on the netgear, manual ip setups, and there was some success, but nothing that would make it transparent and easy.

I don't want to extend the network with the Netgear router, because I do enjoy the added speed of the 802.11n.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

The best way to do that will be to make the AEBS the "router," allowing it to pass out IP addresses to all computers - then they'll all be in the same local subnet.
    Connect your Netgear to be in Bridge mode by turning Off DHCP and NAT functions. Depending on the model, it can be in bridge mode with connection from the AEBS LAN port to its WAN in port or you may need to connect to a LAN port and not have anything going to the WAN/internet port.

You may need to go to the Netgear forum to get specific bridge mode instructions for your router. I have two Netgear routers and their setup is different as I described above. My G/B model is 614v6, and it doesn't actually work in Bridge mode - I guess a bug in firmware - it turns off the radio after 5 minutes - I tried everything they said on the Forum.

3. zarathustra thread starter macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Thanks gsahli, I tried the bridging function, but for some reason the netgear router will not do as I want it to...

Off I go to the Netgear forums. I have a hunch that there is a checkmark 3 levels deep that I am not clicking....

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Here's how I run mine.

Cable Modem into the WAN port of an older (b/g) Extreme.
    CAT5 between new AEBS ethernet port and old (b/g) Extreme ethernet port.
    New AEBS set in bridge mode.

5. Solesk macrumors member

hey zara, i dont know how old your netgear router is. but we used to have one from several years ago that claimed to support working as a bridge. but in fact did not. something about the firmware supporting it, thus the options to do it in the control panel, but the hardware did not support it, thus the options did nothing. i would have thought they'd have fixed that by the g series though as ours was a b.

we ended up just getting a new linksys wireless router and everything worked fine. but in the end, the only way i could get everything to talk with everybody easy is to have only one router dishing out ip addresses. if you've already tried the netgear as a switch can you change it and try your n router? use the netgear to give out ip addresses?

6. zarathustra thread starter macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Thanks to all for the replies. I spent too much time on this, so I am kinda throwing in the towel until I have a rainy afternoon with nothing to do.

The setup works OK for now (I have set up some static routes for some items, so that I can at least type in the IP address and get where I need to go)

BTW, I am falling out of love with my AEBS in 5Ghz N mode. Some days it screams, some days I am getting 100kbps throughput. Have to restart quite often...

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

Next time it rains, try switching your setup from:

DSL modem -> AirportExtreme BS (to be used in 802.11n-only) ->Netgear MIMO router (to be used in 802.11b+g only)

to

DSL modem -> Netgear MIMO router (to be used in 802.11b+g only) -> AirportExtreme BS (to be used in 802.11n-only)

As long as your Netgear is setup to give out DHCP, and your AEBS is setup in "Bridge Mode" (that setting is on its Internet tab), I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. :confused:

When you hook up the AEBS to the Netgear, make sure you're using an LAN port on the AEBS, not the WAN port.

If you do run into problems, I'd try resetting each router back to its factory default config. Then I'd setup the DSL modem -> Netgear MIMO router (to be used in 802.11b+g only) and make sure my B/G devices worked OK wirelessly before trying the AEBS. If everything's ok, then I'd add the AEBS.

You're using different network names (ESSIDS) for each router?