Networking Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shimmerfashion, Feb 27, 2014.

1. shimmerfashion macrumors newbie

Hi,

I replaced my 7 year old D Link D-300 with an airport express. Surprisngly, the old D Link had much better range, so am bummed out at wasting money on the airport express.

Anyway, my friend gave me his old 1264 airport express and I used that to extend the range. Works a little, so can't complain.

But the problem is I cannot see either of my 2 airport expresses on the airport utility I downloaded on my PC. But the network is working fine and I can access the internet.

When I first did this, I was only able to see the new airport express. Then I connected the new and old airport expresses with ethernet and then both showed up in airport utility. So I did the configuration to extend the wireless network. It eventually asked my something about default passsword and I chose the ignore option. I have placed the second airport express where I needed to extend the range, and now the network is working, but I cant see either device on airport utility.

Have I done something wrong? What can I do to access both devices on airport utility?

Thanks!

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The Airport Express is a small, low-power device. It doesn't purport to have great range. The Airport Extreme (and, along with it, the Time Capsule units) have much, much greater range and speed by way of their MIMO antenna array.

If range is what you're looking for, I'd skip the Airport Express.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

As a note, even the newest AirPort Express (2012) model only puts out 20.5 dB, where as the Extreme (2013) can put out 32.5 dB, theoretically. Granted, the Express is for a different market.

However, you must be running AirPort Utility 5.6.1 to view both. If both are wireless N devices, you can view them in AirPort Utility 6 on a Mac or the latest iPhone app.