Networking Leopard iMac with an XP PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yerman, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Yerman macrumors member

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

The other day, went through the basic "Set up a home or small office network" function on my PC with no problems. Then, I went to the properties of a few folders...My Documents and another random folder on my desktop to be exact...and enabled the folder for sharing.

I then went to my Intel Based iMac with Leopard 10.5.5 and miraculously, I opened up a finder window and there they were. On the left hand side of my finder window were my shared files from my PC. Sweet. I even said to myself, "that was easy." I proceeded to transfer my files from my PC to my new iMac and I had a big smile on my face.

Now, I can't get my shared files to show up in the finder window for the life of me. I checked the folder permissions of the shared files, I went through the "set up a home or small office network" setup again, I did everything the same as before and I have had no luck.

So, did I change something from the first time? Did I just get lucky? I have done some searching on these forums and found solutions to this question, the only problem is that the solutions I found were for different version of OS X or different versions of Windows. I tried to convert the settings over from the other responses to my operating systems but I have had no luck. Can someone help? Thanks.

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you set a common Workgroup name in both Windows and OS X? Are both computer on the same subnet ( i.e. do they have IP addresses that differe in the last number only?).

It would be helpful to know how you conencted them, is there a router in your netwokr or did you conenct the computers directly?

3. Yerman thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I did exactly like I said. Very straight forward and used all the default settings in the PC. There was a default workgroup name, and the like, that was setup on the PC when running through the wizard but I don't even know how or where to put in the workgroup name in the Mac and I don't even know what a subnet is. Sorry for being to computer illiterate but it seems like I just need a link to the step by step directions of how to do it properly. For the record, they are both linked together via a D-Link router. I just find it hard to believe that is was so easy the first time and I can't seem to replicate it.