Networking MacBook Pro and G5 Tower

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SMVH, Mar 3, 2008.

1. SMVH macrumors newbie

Here's my scenario and probably too much info:
    Have a Dual 2GHz G5 Tower and 2.6GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro successfully connected via Ethernet/wired router. I have cable internet access on both via wired cable modem also connected to the wired router. All of my non-wireless capable peripherals e.g. printers, scanner connect via USB. I have an external HD connected to the G5 via FW800.

I am looking to take advantage of the MacBook Pro's wireless capability, specifically for internet access anywhere in the home (Airport is installed). Obviously, with what I have, only the MacBook has wireless capability, and that's fine. What are my options/what do I need to add-on to get wireless internet access on the MacBook?

Also, what is the easiest was to Sync specific files between the G5 and MacBook Pro? (Not system, prefs, etc.--just various files I work on and my email folder.)

Apologies for what may seem simple inquiries... I haven't been Mac-savvy since OS9.

Thanks in advance,
    S

2. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I have the same set up. Except I have a Macbook Air.

You need a wireless router. My ISP supplied mine, so I don't really know what to recommend besides an Apple Airport Extreme.

As far as syncing files, it depends what OS your Macs are running.

My G5 is still Tiger, and due to the small HD on my Air, I just access my G5 through the Network and grab only the files I need.

3. SMVH thread starter macrumors newbie

OK... so I have the AirPort Extreme hooked up properly: cable modem into AirPort Extreme and ethernet cable between AirPort Extreme and G5 tower
    (no AirPort card in G5).

Set up AirPort utility and set-up/named a Network, and the wired G5 and wireless MacBook Pro connect to the Internet just fine.

Problem is, while the wired G5 CAN see and access the wireless MacBook Pro on the network I set up., the wireless MacBook Pro cannot see or connect to the wired G5. (I can get the wired G5 on the MacBook Pro if I connect the MB Pro to the AirPort Extreme via ethernet cable).

Why can't I see my G5 via the MacBook Pro, when wireless?

What am I missing?

Regards,
    S