Networking Macbook Pro to Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marilynfan, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Marilynfan macrumors member

Marilynfan

I just got my first laptop (Macbook Pro) it is also my first experience with a Mac. Loving it so far. Could someone help me figure out why I can't get my network working. I have the wireless internet working just fine. I have a desktop PC running Windows XP and I want to be able to share some files on it with my macbook pro. I have tried using the guides I found on the web but I get an -36 Error when trying to connect to the PC using Finder - connect to server and it doesn't matter if I try the computer name or the IP address. Any thoughts?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

go > connect to server

smb://192.168.1.12 <- your pc's ip.

you need the smb:// prefix to tell os x that you want to use samba to connect to a windows share. without the prefix you try to connect to an afp (apple share)

4. Marilynfan thread starter macrumors member

Marilynfan

I have been using the smb:// prefix before putting in the IP address I got off my desktop. I have also tried that prefix with the computer's name.

This is the message I get on the mac...

The finder can not complete the operation because some data in "smb://IP ADDRESS OR COMPUTER NAME" could not be read or written. (Error Code -36)