Networking Macs and PCs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dufeman, May 8, 2007.

1. dufeman macrumors newbie

i new macrumors.com so i don't know if someone has already posted this question.

i resently purchased a macbook and want to network it with my family's windows pc so that i can access the printer that is connected to the pc.
    the problem is that my family didn't take great care of the pc so it's got tons of spyware and runs terribly.

so my question is, when i network my mac to the pc will the pc effect my mac performance in anyway.

if there is any information that i left out that would be helpful just post what is needed and i will return ASAP.
    thanks.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It shouldn't affect your Mac's performance unless the viruses do somthing to the printing on the PC, and then it would only affect printing to that printer.

3. dufeman thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a way to check if the printer is virus free?

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Printer = hardware
    Virus/spyware = software

Printers (and practically any other peripheral that doesn't have a hard drive or an operating system) is immune to viruses and spyware.

The only problem you may have is if the printer is not shared on the PC end, you won't be able to access it.

Boot the PC and run some scans and clean up the crap. Go to Spyware Guide and use their online scanner to get rid of the spyware, and then from there go to Trend Micro and use their free online virus scanner.

One you've used the online scans, install Ad-Aware SE Personal & Spybot S&D for spyware, and AVG Free for viruses and keep them updated to keep the computer from being hosed again.

5. dufeman thread starter macrumors newbie

thatnk you so much i really needed to find some good virus and spyware protection progrms that are free. i will go try your advise and let you know how everything came out later.

6. dufeman thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all of your tips. they really helped me out.