Networking macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morrius, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Morrius macrumors member

I have a desktop Mac running Leopard and a laptop running Tiger. I would like to connect them so I can transfer files between the two of them with a minimum of hassle. What ways are there to do this?

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

It would help to know what else you have going on, and how you want it setup. Is the desktop connected via ethernet? I assume the laptop is wireless, but either way more info is needed to properly answer or help :)

(Oh btw, this site has some pretty fantastic guides, this is a good start if you would like to thumb around for info http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:Networking_and_Internet )

3. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

System Prefrences.

Sharing

Personal File Sharing: ON

on leopard a new tab called sharing will appear in your finder window, and its pretty self explanatory form there

4. Morrius thread starter macrumors member

Both computers are connected wirelessly to the same router. I found that once I enabled File Sharing I could access the laptop from the desktop, but not vice versa.

5. mucha macrumors newbie

macs not sharing nicely

I'm having the same issue; I can get to the shared files on my wife's PowerBook, but she can't get to the shared files on my iMac.