Networking Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SansArc, Jan 31, 2009.

1. SansArc macrumors newbie

SansArc

I'm sure this is possible but I can't figure it out. Im networked between a couple of my macs but was wondering if there is a setting that makes the network ethernet only. Right now Im connecting them using both Airport and ethernet. Whenever I need to connect both computers, and I am using the Airport on my laptop and need to transfer large files it networks over wifi instead of ethernet automatically. Basically if I am connected wifi first it assumes I want to share over wifi instead of ethernet. Trying to save myself the hassle of turning off my airport on my laptop before I connect through ethernet to share files. Plus to give me piece of mind that no one can connect to my macs as well. Hope that makes sense:confused:.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

cant you just turn off AirPort in the menu bar????

3. stomer macrumors 6502a

System Preferences -> Network

Then to the right of the plus and minus buttons (towards the bottom left-hand side of the network preferences screen), click on the button that looks like a cog. Then select "Set Service Order". Give the ethernet connection the highest priority.

That would allow you to use ethernet when you have a cable plugged into your laptop, and to use Airport when there's no ethernet.

4. SansArc thread starter macrumors newbie

SansArc