Networking MBP with Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dkillgo, Jun 9, 2011.

1. dkillgo macrumors member

I am wondering how to get my new 2011 MBP 13" to be able to connect to my windows network to enable file sharing and remote control.

I can't seem to find a way to do this, although I'm pretty sure that it can be done, right?

My windows network is set up with a workgroup.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I found file sharing with windows computers on the same network to be hit or miss at best. My sister's desktop and mine are both on the same networks, sometimes I see her computer, other times I don't. She never sees mine.

When my win7 laptop is connected, I always see my MBP, though I pretty much never see the win7 laptop from my MBP. AFAIK, all my settings are correct.

3. dkillgo thread starter macrumors member

This is strange. I tooled around a bit and I think I found a way to assign a workgroup. Now on my PC I can see my MBP listed under the network, but on my MBP I can't see anything on the network.

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Which version of Windows is the system you are trying to access running?

I can tell you from Windows 7 to my Mac running 10.6.7 I didn't have to do anything at all to make it work. Its a very simple networking and it worked out of the box.

5. dkillgo thread starter macrumors member

6. fattire357 macrumors regular

The easiest method is to open up your Windows 7 machine and figure out it's IP address by following these steps:

1. Start -- > run --- > cmd.exe
    2. (now you have a terminal opened up). type "ipconfig" and make a note of the IP address.

Open the Mac, and right click the finder-face on the bottom, click "Connect to Server" and type in smb://(IP address)

So my local IP address for my Windows 7 machine is 192.168.1.147 so under connect to server on my mac I type in smb://192.168.1.147

That's a fail safe method. It always works. Depending on your local router unless you assigned a static IP address you may have to repeat those steps the first time you connect every day...

I only connect this way if I can't get anything else to work since it is more tedious.

7. dkillgo thread starter macrumors member

8. cinek macrumors 6502