Networking, mount root drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark88, Apr 26, 2007.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

I have 2 macs currently on my wifi network, and iMac and Macbook. Both set up for sharing.

On the iMac, if I go to Network in the sidebar, choose my work group, 'mark's macbook' appears, clicking connect and entering my password it only allows me to mount my home folder 'mark'.

If I instead connect via the command-k shortcut in Finder and enter the IP address 192.168.1.x I get a different dialog and can choose whether to log on as a registered user or a guest. This time it allows me not only to mount my home folder but also 'Macintosh HD'......

How come one way offers me the root drive and the other doesn't?

screenshots show the different results

Attached Files:

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Because you're connecting via different sharing protocols.

Browsing Network, and selecting "Workgroup" usually means you're browsing a Windows-orientated "local" network, and thus you will be connecting via SMB/CIFS. It seems that connecting via SMB (Windows filesharing) doesn't give you access to the root of the HD.
    Connecting via COMMAND-K (thus by default AFP) will connect you using Apple's filesharing protocol. This one seems to accept the fact you are an "admin" user on the shared Mac, and does give you access to the root of the HD.

3. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

perfect answer, thanks!

I see my macbook listed under 'my network' and that mounts both root and user.