Networking my MacBook Pro to AppleTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Duyvo73, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Duyvo73 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro 15 and I have just received AppleTV for Christmas. I can make it all work via my home WiFi, however I want to know how I can get it to work when I go away for work without my home WiFi. I have tried to make a network from my MacBook, however the Apple TV won't recognise it. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help?:)

2. zodqyv macrumors regular

Mine works fine with an Airport. It's a pretty seamless little network.

3. Duyvo73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you using an external Airport or have you created a network using your MacBook?
    I am trying to use the MacBook to establish a network that I can use to play the movies in my laptop through Apple TV onto my plasma. :confused:

4. zodqyv macrumors regular

Airport Express in the living room. It manages everything automatically. It is nice because it does not require any computers to be present or booted.

5. holbla macrumors newbie

Solution

I was having the same issue with my AppleTV. I would create a wireless network with my laptop and the AppleTV would not find it. What I did was connect my MacBook Air with an ethernet cable then turn internet sharing on (System Preferences > Sharing). AppleTV connected no problem after this.

6. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

OP:

what model of Apple tv are you using? Because the first gen is more complicated to set but the second and third are easy as pie.

Be sure that itunes is up to date and that home sharing is activated. If your laptop can use the internet over wifi and your :apple:TV can update, then they should see each other automatically.

You might want to check in the apple tv section of the forum