Networking my macbook with Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BBB3000, Jul 16, 2012.

1. BBB3000 macrumors newbie

I am having a lot of trouble networking my home windows 7 pcs with my brand new macbook air. I would like to say that I am new to the mac world, so please bare with me.

The problem that I am having is that Finder does not seem to automatically detect all the Windows 7 PCs on my network. I have to enter their computer name and map them every time. It forgets them after I reboot my macbook.

Is this the intention? Is there a way to do seamless networking with the macbook and windows 7 PCs? What I am hoping for is that my Macbook is able to find my windows 7 pcs, along with the shared folders that they have, and just work every time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Check out this link. It's a step by step guide to getting the two OSes talking to each other.

3. BBB3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great link, thanks.

I will have to add the Windows homegroup to the WINS setting in my Mac OS. I did not try that yet.

The one question I have for you is, what happens if the IP address changes on my Windows 7 machines? Do i have to remap them in my Mac? I am hoping that OSX can automatically detect all the computers on my home network, without me having to remap them every time.

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

If you're running a DHCP server (i.e. D-Link / Linksys / ??? router), you shouldn't have any problems. The DHCP server hands out IP addresses and regular network discoverability should take care of the rest.

Usually in a home environment, your IP addresses will only change when rebooting a machine. Otherwise, the IP leases default to 24 hours on most routers so you shouldn't have issues with machines suddenly changing IP addresses unless you are manually managing the addresses.

5. BBB3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the solution from the link you gave me. I would say it is only half of what I'm looking for. I was already able to connect to my windows 7 PC from my macbook air using the smb://<computer name>. That always worked.

1) What I need is for the macbook to automatically find the computers in my home network
    2) Keep the computers mounted

I hate that I have to type all of my PC names in (i have quite a few). anyone know if this is possible?