Networking my two Macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superspiffy, Jun 12, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I'm setting up a MBP and a MB to my home network. I really don't know much about networking so bare with me. I want to copy all my iphoto albums and itunes music from the MBP to the MB so they'll appear exactly the same. What's the easiest way to do this? What network settings do I have to have in order for me to share files across these two macs? thanks

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If you're not concerned with having the music on the MacBook HD you can share your iTunes library on the MacBook Pro and stream your media.

If this won't work for you I'd get a crossover cable and create a computer to computer network between the two and copy both libraries from your user folder to the MacBook.

Hope this helps.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

This probably isn't what you are looking for but an easy solution would be to get a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme + External HDD and put your files on the drive from there. Then just point the respective applications on each computer to the network drive. Although if you already have a router then this wouldn't be for you (unless you want to spend more money).

4. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not looking to stream media from one computer to the other or from a home server. I want to transfer media files from my MBP to my MB while keeping all data intact.

For example, when I copy photos from my MBP's iPhoto over to my MB, I found out I can't keep albums and tags. The original pictures get transferred over but I have to manually import them in my MB's iPhoto and their tagging gets loss. I know I can copy the iPhoto Library itself over, but I don't have space on the MB for that and I only want to copy certain pictures. Also, my music's ratings and play counts gets loss

5. hank-b macrumors member

hank-b

I agree - having a single 'master' copy solbves all the problems of keeping the iPhoto and iTunes libraries in sync. However, what should be the solution if you want a fully up-to-date copy of iTunes/iPhoto on the MBP when you're travelling with it?

HB

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You do not need crossover cables. For many years now, the ethernet ports on all macs (PPC and later Intel), are fully auto-negotiable. Regular ethernet cables work fine for a mac-mac connection.

7. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok so what I'm really looking for is how to perfectly sync two Macs together. Not just iCal, Mail, and Address Book, but also iTunes, iPhoto, and any other files that gets added or changed from one to the other. I know MobileMe is limited because it can't do all that. Any programs out there at all?