Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NuméroHuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Mac (purchased my first desktop a year ago) and now have invested into a laptop for university. I have NO idea how networking works (I know it exists, I know vaguely of its benefits).

What I want to do is to link my Mac desktop and my MacBook together. First off, there is a printer on the desktop that I'd like to have wireless access to through the MacBook. I thought I could handle that with Printer Sharing but when I try to print something off of the laptop, it endlessly searches for the printer in vain.

Also, I'd like the iCals of the two computers to sync - is that possible?

More over, can iTunes sync as well?

File sharing in itself is not essential to me. It'd be nice but the most important things are the printer and the calendars. I'd appreciate any tips or nods in the right direction.

Thanks!

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
Ok if you want to share your printer over the network then you need to enable printer sharing on your iMac.

Once you do that then it your printer should show up when you connect your macbook to the network.

NuméroHuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I have done that by going to System Preferences > Sharing > Printer Sharing. I've selected the right printer and in turn, the Macbook does recognize the printer and I can select it to print but when I attempted to print a test page nothing happened. The job stayed active in the job tray but it said "Searching for printer". The printer was on and the wireless was working so what's the issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.