networking noob

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jhu2, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jhu2 macrumors member

So my family and I are going to be moving into a new house with in the next few weeks and I was given the job to set up the network. Right now, our new house is pre-wired for ethernet, so every room has an ethernet jack ready. I looked in our utility room and noticed there is a cable modem wired to a linksys wireless g router, and then into a massive hub where it goes into each of our rooms.

My question is what is the fastest and most efficient way to add a second N wireless access point. I want a dedicated N access point for the two macbooks we have, and the rest of the wireless devices can just be on the G access point. Can I just get an Airport express and plug it into an ethernet port? Will the strength be enough to cover the majority of the house? The house is 2 stories, a full basement, over 5000 square feet. Thanks in advance!

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Simply plug your Airport N into one of the other router's ethernet out ports. Since you'll then have a G and an N router, simply give each wireless network a different name. You'll know to connect your MacBooks to "HomeN" for example, and anything else to "HomeG" or something similarly identifiable.