Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
My iMac has an Ethernet Port and an Airport Wireless card.

Due to the close proximity of the iMac to the router I am connected to the router via ethernet so the Airport Wireless is not being used.

Can I configure the Airport so that the :apple:TV would connect directly to the iMac via Airport?

This would do two things .... take Syncing load off the router which is shared and 802.11g, and allow the :apple:TV to connect to the iMac via 802.11n?

I attempted to create a network, and it seemed to do so but :apple:TV did not see it?

Is the answer to set up the Airport as a network and manually configure the :apple: TV to the Airport self assigned IP settings??

Thanks!

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
My iMac has an Ethernet Port and an Airport Wireless card.

Due to the close proximity of the iMac to the router I am connected to the router via ethernet so the Airport Wireless is not being used.

Can I configure the Airport so that the :apple:TV would connect directly to the iMac via Airport?

This would do two things .... take Syncing load off the router which is shared and 802.11g, and allow the :apple:TV to connect to the iMac via 802.11n?

I attempted to create a network, and it seemed to do so but :apple:TV did not see it?

Is the answer to set up the Airport as a network and manually configure the :apple: TV to the Airport self assigned IP settings??

Thanks!

Apple TV doesn't support Computer to Computer networks. However, you can share your ethernet connection through airport to get what you want.

On you mac, select the sharing prefs in system prefs. Select Internet and share your connection from Built-in Ethernet and check the Airport box below.

That should do it.

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.