Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewdog1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I would appreciate any help that you folks can give me. I've searched the forums and haven't come across this problem that I'm having.

Here's my setup:
1. DSL to wired Linksys router.
2. Airport Express hanging off that router.
3. WinXP PC connected to wired Linksys router.
4. iBook G4 OSX 10.4.7 using the Express.

Here's my dilema, I'm trying to network the two systems using the handy guide that is provided here. I have everything set up fine, but since I'm using the Express, they are not on the same network.

1. WinXP IP = 192.168.x.x
2. Mac IP = 10.0.1.x

How the heck am I going to get them to see each other? Is it going to be a setting in the Linksys router?

Thanks in advance.

-dave

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
I can't help here too much, but your Airport Express needs to be configured to connect to your Linksys network, the Mac just needs to connect to your Airport base station using DHCP. Airport Express will set-up it's local set of IPs for anything connected to it (and it looks like it already has).

Try using Airport Set-up Utility in your Utilities folder on your Mac. Try the walk through to see if there's an option for your Airport Express to join an existing network.

Otherwise try searching Apple techinfo database.

stewdog1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks scan,

Ok, I fixed half of my problem.

I went into the Airport Admin Utility and changed the way it uses the router. I changed it by disabling the NAT in the Express and enforce the NAT from the Linksys, and I changed the IP addressing to match the 192.168.x.x addressing.

This allowed for the PC to connect to my Mac.

Now when I try to connect from the Mac to the PC I get the "could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct" error.

stewdog1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I fixed my problem!!! Woo Hoo!

I'm going to post a new thread because this a problem that I've seen a lot of people have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.