Networking problem with Mac mini and iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silvine, Jan 24, 2010.

1. silvine macrumors member

I've got a Mac mini downstairs (plugged into my router and an iMac upstairs (connected to router via airport). What's the best way to make sure the two stay networked and connected?

At the moment I have to manually click connect to the Mac mini each time and enter my password. And when the mac mini enters sleep mode it seems to drop the connection. Any ideas?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you clicked the "Remember this password in my Keychain" box?
    [​IMG]

Also, when a Mac goes to sleep, it has to disconnect from the network, because it sleeps, only the RAM is active (to store the current contents of that RAM).

You can enable the "wake" option in System Preferences, but that will only work with a cabled connection, as the airport card is offline during sleep.
    [​IMG]

3. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

If the Mac mini is physically connected via the NIC, it should always remain connected, even after is has been in sleep mode. Just to make sure it's not trying to use the wireless connection, turn the AirPort connection off.

When you say
    , what type of networking are you referring to (ie - screen sharing, FTP, shared drives, etc.)?