Networking program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SaleenS351, Oct 24, 2008.

1. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I am small business owner and would like to open the lines of communication between the staff and their supervisors. Sometimes an employee will let their supervisor know something or will make a request. Occasionally the request will be forgotten and/or left by the way side. In an effort to prevent these "dropped requests" I would like to implement a networking program where employees can post their requests and/ or concerns to certain individuals and to ensure that my managers are indeed following through and completing said tasks. Basically I'm looking for a program that can provide a checks and balance of "to-do lists", so that I am able to monitor my supervising employees. If anyone knows of such a program or can point me in the right direction of what I may be looking for, I would greatly appreciate it. And if I have not done and adequate job of describing what exactly I am looking for, please let me know. Sometimes it is harder to get it out to someone who is not familiar with your business or what exactly it is you are looking to achieve.

Thank you.:)

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

A simple solution would be to run an internal web server running a simple phpBB forum on it. Staff post messages and then supervisers can post comments or question to clarify. Then when it is done they can post a message to say that is completed.

The advantage of that is you can have forums for specific departments etc. The major advantage of this approach is that it is 100% free. All Macs running Mac OS X (Tiger or above for sure not sure about lower versions) have the required software (with the exception of MySQL which is also free and there are lots of tutorials for getting it running) and any machine will be more than powerful enough.

3. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention that I use a mac and my employees all have pc's:D

Thank you for the suggestion I was thinking about a forum as well. I do have a server in place already. I don't know how to setup a phpBB forum. Could you point to somewhere to help show me how? Is it very complicated?

Thanks again.