Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottiep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I don't have a degree in wireless technologies, so please bear with me.

I have a Time Capsule, Apple TV and two MacBooks. I would like to take advantage of the Time Capsule's setting of "N"--5 ghz. The catch is I also have an iPhone and would like to use it on the network, too. I have an older Netgear "g" router that I could use to set up an additional wireless network.

What is the best way to set up two wireless networks as I've described--being sure that they won't interfere with one another?

I appreciate any thoughts. :)

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Disable the DHCP server on the Netgear and plug it into the AE (LAN<>LAN port). The 2.4GHz g band won't interfere with the 5GHz n band.

scottiep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

1) so regardless of the channel, since it is a different band, it won't conflict?

2) If I disable DHCP, how can it serve up an IP address for the iPhone?

crayonshin

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
Japan
If you don't care that your G and N devices are on separate subnets (networks), then all you really have to do is connect a cable from the Netgear's WAN port to any of the Time Capsule's three LAN ports. This is what I did with my old G Airport Express and it works fine. If you want to share files between G and N devices though, I would suggest you go with live4ever's advice since it would be easier to share files when all the machines are on the same subnet.

Also keep in mind that the devices connected to the Netgear are going to be going through two firewalls unless you can disable the Netgear firewall. So if you had to open any ports for the G devices, you would have to open them in the Netgear configuration screen as well as the Time Capsule's.

As a side note, I really hope Apple will bring all of their devices up to the N standard, and/or implement dual radios in their routers (for 2.4GHz & 5GHz). That way, there's no worrying about G devices slowing down N devices on the same network.

scottiep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
thanks so much to both of you--I'm gonna give this a shot.

I did not realize that the "main" router could serve IP addresses "thru" the access point.

I'm glad to know I can do the separate subnets, if I can't figure out the other. At this point I only need the "g" network for my iPhone and any guest we have that can't do the 5ghz "N."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.