Networking question - will this work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iNickk, Sep 5, 2010.

1. iNickk macrumors member

I'm moving to uni in about a month, and there is no wifi there, only an ethernet cable in my room.

My question is - can i plug the ethernet cable into my macbook and broadcast a wireless network from it? I know you can make a wireless network on a macbook, i've done it before, but i want to broadcast the internet over it. I want to be able to use my iPhone on wifi, cos I don't wanna go over my allowance (damn o2).

Thank you for any help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences > Sharing > Enable "Internet sharing"

3. iNickk thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I can't test it atm, cos i'm not there yet but now i know you can do it, i'm not so worried.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I don't get it, yes it will work as Hellhammer advised, however Ad-Hoc wireless doesn't have the greatest of ranges so you're more likely to be getting it in the same room the MacBook's in, so why not just use that for surfing instead of the phone?

5. bareskillz macrumors newbie

Internet sharing works fine, I use it when I'm working abroad to share my wireless usb modem to my iPhone.

As you will at Uni for some time, I would advise that you just get a wireless access point like this one , it's only 20 quid and will save you having to have your macbook on all the time to use your iPhone. Internet sharing also drains your battery faster.

Also your macbook will work off this wirelessly so it's a win-win!

6. iNickk thread starter macrumors member

I wanted to facetime with my family while i'm away. It's only a small room, so range doesn't matter massively.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To add.

You might want to take a look at an Airport Express. Connect to the Ethernet cable and it provides a WiFi hotspot.

It also provides the following convenient functions:
    - USB port for a printer
    - Audio port out for your stereo

YMMV.