Networking question with MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WirelessInn, Jul 20, 2007.

1. WirelessInn macrumors regular

New to Mac here. But I have already gotten a tremendous amout of help and info from those forums. I trust I'll be able to reciprocate sometime!
    I have a MBP and I am using it primarily in a heavily Win network (the MBP is connected wirelessly thru a Linksys wireless router). So fat, t all works pretty well - surprizingly in a way! I have some devices which need to be occasionally connected to my MBP via lan port; I want to be able to do that WHILE RETAINING my wireless connection to the network. For example, right now I am setting up a Linksys range extender which has to be set up via lan connection with proper settings prior to being connected wirelessly to the network.
    Can I connect to that device momentarily, WHILE remaining connected to the wireless network. In other words i want to be able to use BOTH network devices on board (i.e. the wireless card PLUS the LAN port) to connect to two different areas. Is there a setting somewhere in the MBP menus that allow me to select either the wireless card OR the lan port at any given time? At my company's office for example, I have several workstations with 2 NICs - one for the business lan, the other for the internet connection. The machines "know" which one to access for what.
    Thanks!
    - Roger T

2. lag1090 macrumors 6502

Your MBP is able to be connected to both network connections at the same time, but it will only allow you to use one of them at a time.

To choose which interface you want to use at a given time, open up System Preferences, select Network. In the Show drop-down menu, select Network Port Configurations,. Then, just deselect the checkbox(s) for the connection(s) you don't want to use at that time. Just hit the Apply Now button, and you'll be all set. Repeat the process to re-enable that connection.

3. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot, lag1090. Actually, I had only in passing explored that part of the NETWORK pref menu.

Another item: attached pic NetworkChoosing.png) shows Airport Internet Connect window. I have noticed that at times, the Signal Level bar slide shows "All Bars" i.e. full connection at full strength, which at that moment I know to be innaccurate - for example, I happen to be way out in the yard, with a less that full connection strength. Indeed, at that momen I sometime have no connectikon to the Net. Seems that by Turning the Airport Card Off, then restarting everything, INCLUDING selecting "Other" for the network, rather than let the card find the network by itself, I have a better chance of restoring things. So, why does sometimes the Signal bar show full strength and connected to network, when there is ACTALLY no connection?

Other item. Attached graphic (ActiveConnections.png) shows Location Selection box. When does one actually use that in anything besides "Automatic" setting?

Last question: is there something of a widget to actually better monitor either the Wireless card connection (besides the little bar icon on top of the screen!) or the LAN connection (when it is used)? i actually like the Windows little dual screen icon(s) at the bottom of the screen indicating what's going on with the connection(s). Besides, I like widgets a lot!

Thanks again!

- Roger T

Attached Files:

4. lag1090 macrumors 6502

Since you had three separate questions, I'll put them into the best-organized way I can.

First question:
    The status in Internet Connect takes a while to update. I've seen refresh rates as slow as 30 seconds at times, but I think that was just an issue with my hardware. Aside from that, the signal strength is usually inaccurate. As to why this is, I have no idea. I'm guessing Apple doesn't think a user knowing his/her exact signal strength, regardless of whether you're actually connected over AirPort or not, is too important.

Second question:
    That drop-down menu is for a feature called locations. Let's say you have different network settings for your home and office, you can create a Home location and an Office location. It really just simplifies switching back and forth between networks if their settings differ very much. Most users keep it on Automatic because OS X does a pretty good job of detecting dynamic settings. If you have static IPs or anything non-dynamic, using locations would be your best bet for switching from network to network.

Third question:
    For this, the iStat Pro widget is your friend. Just click the i to configure it to show your network settings.

I hope that answered all of your questions. If you need anything else, either post another reply, or you can PM me.

5. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, lag1090 for the prompt reply. So the LOCATION thing is indeed useful.
    As to what Apple thinks about what people might want or not, that's a debate of its own! For example, why cannot we resize windows from ALL sides rather than just from bottom corner?
    I do use iStatPro; just wondering how other screen shown on this forum actually display info about CPU's 2 cores, rather than just one with iStatPro.
    Just a detail!
    - Roger T