Networking question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ricostuart, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ricostuart macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am quite new with Mac's in general, and was wanting to get some help if possible. I am running the latest OSX on a MacBook Air 13".

I have a Ubuntu 11.10 server running with an XBMC frontend. it currently shares folders to the network using SAMBA. I can access them fine via Windows and on OSX. I have also setup a folder on the server to act as a time machine.

The question I have is this:
    On Windows, I have a shortcut which gets me straight to the server, explorer opens showing all the available folders shared (document, videos, music, etc).

On OSX, it seems I must goto finder, connect to server via ip rather than by server name and it will then proceed to mount the specific folder only. I have to do that for all the folders. This is a bit of a pain.

Is there a way of having a direct shortcut to the server on my desktop (or in finder menu) where I can click it, it will then auto login to the server and show me all the available folders for me to then mount if required. I use a few of the folders at the same time as the server also acts as my torrent downloader.

I hope I have explained my question ok.

Thank you,

2. chown33 macrumors 604

On Windows, you made a shortcut, right? So do the same thing on Mac OS X.

1. Connect to the server.
    2. Select its desktop icon in Finder.
    3. Make Alias (File menu).
    4. Eject the server volume (i.e. disconnect).
    5. Double-click the alias.
    6. Does it reconnect to the server or not?

I have several server and file-sharing aliases and they all work just fine.

3. ricostuart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick reply! Unfortunatly that doesnt work.

When I goto connect to server, i type in smb://192.168.1.71. A window then pops up asking me to select the volumes i want to mount. This gives a list of all the folders. They are the only things that come up on the desktop.

I am hoping to find a way of getting the top level on rather than this. It may not be possible on OSX i guess?