Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Okay, I've got a Satallite dish system and two routers. I have router B plugged into Router A. Router b Everything is disabled, DNS, Gateway, **** like that, including DHCP. Router A has DHCP enabled, MAC Address Filtering, and DNS and Gateways for the dish system entered. I'm running this setup for my little out post in Iraq. The dish is plugged into the "uplink" port in back of the router, Both Linksys, btw.

So I've got 30 people or so on this router, and some one, i fear is passing alot of crap and hogging all the network bandwidth. I suspect SpyWare/Adware of Virus problem on one or two machines. Is there anyway to setup my Mac or a Windows Machine to accept all the data through a network card, and then pass that data up to the satallite dish? I just need to see who's sending all this data and the Linksys logs are crap.

Any help would be great.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
The only thing I can suggest is Microsoft's ISA server which you can use as a proxy and firewall. It's easy enough (if a little time consuming) to set up but you'll need the software and a machine running Windows Server 2003 - both of which may be hard to come by at your outpost.

tman07

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
you might want to check out ddwrt, and run that on your router(s) assuming they are compatible. Its like a little linux box running, and you can customize it any way you want. The logs are much better then linksys (or dell, in my case) and you can limit bandwidth and such as well.

google it, because google is amazing, and i have to finish this paper due in an hour.....:)

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
You can also install PfSense on your Mac. Since is a *nix based, and it's free. Really easy to setup too!

You can even setup proper rules and what not to handle data. Plus, the logging capabilities are nice too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.