networking questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wakerider017, Apr 17, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

So I am adding a 2nd Mac to my network tomorrow (20" iMac).

So I have setup PC's with my Mac for file sharing. Basically I just use Finder > Go > Connect to Server.. and then type in smb://192.168.1.4/My Documents (that is the folder on my PC I want to connect to).

I also know that you can go through Finder and click on the network tab on the side and browse MSHome.

1. So will my new Mac just show up in Servers if I enable file sharing?

Also.

2. What are the folders "workgroup" and "my network"? there is nothing in them. Any way I can delete them on my PC?

3. What is the "Library" alias. It links nowhere and I can't delete it...

[​IMG]

2. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

If you enable file sharing on a mac and have another on the same subnet, the mac with the file sharing turned on will use bonjour to advertise its file sharing service to your other mac. This will cause it to show up in the finder under "Network" -> "Servers"

you can also refer to the other machine by its bonjour name. Say you name the machine "wakerider". If you want to connect to it, you can type in "wakerider.local" as the hostname. This will use mDNS to do a query for the hostname and your new machine will say, here is my IP address. All that behind the scenes.

you can even go into the terminal.app in the utilities folder and do a "dig -x wakerider.local" to find out what the ip address is.

The "workgroup" folder under "network" is part of windows smb sharing. Since you probably did not change your "workgroup" that is the default choice.

As for the library alias:

http://developer.apple.com/document...XServer_ProgrammingGuide/Articles/netlib.html

there you go... read that and you will understand.

3. Queso macrumors G4

I think in this case "Mshome" is the Windows workgroup name. "Workgroup" possibly comes from the Samba software on the Mac. Go to Utilities>>Directory Access and see whether it's configured under the SMB/CIFS option. If it is, change "Workgroup" in there to "Mshome" and the Workgroup folder should disappear in the Finder.