networking troubles.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kalafut, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

so i have a intel based macbook, and my mom has a toshiba its running XP, then i go into the finder it shows her computer but it will not let me connect to it, and i went to her computer and turned the remote access on, but nothing, and now i cant even see her comp HELP! thnx ^_^

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

You turned on Remote Access on your mom's machine, which means you would need to use Remote Desktop Connection (an MS Product you can get for your Mac) to connect. Is that how you tried to connect?

Or are you trying to see your mom's files in Finder?

3. Kalafut thread starter macrumors regular

Kalafut

yes i have tried the remote connection, but she only has xp home, when i connect it takes me to her window login screen then its asks for a name and password, but she doensn't have a user name or a password, and i can see her comp in my finder but i cannot connect

4. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Your mom does have a user name and password in windows. You can't use xp without one. She probably never sees the login screen because the password is blank.

You can have her go into Control Panel and see what her user name is in User Accounts. The password can be reset there.

Or, have her click Start and then Run. Type cmd and hit enter to open a command prompt. Type "set" at the prompt and hit enter. Near the end of the data returned her username will be listed.

As far as seeing her files from within Finder: You'll need her username and password for that too.

5. Kalafut thread starter macrumors regular

Kalafut