Networking two macs together

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by douglasb7, Nov 20, 2007.

1. douglasb7 macrumors newbie

Ok, I know many of you will kill me as this is probably very simple and a much talked about subject, though straightforward instructions are hard to find. My parents have the following, all ethernet devices, eMac (running Tiger) and the new iMac (running Leopard). They wish to use a single printer and they are each on fast access DSL (6meg speed) (same router), so how can I hook them up to see each other and use the single printer? Thanks to all!

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I assume the printer doesn't have an ethernet port? Not a lot do, but if this does, then just plug it into the router. done.

If not, figure out what port the printer has. If it is USB you can get an airport base station and print wirelessly. There are other "print servers" on the market too for USB.

My (old) printer is not USB so it has a parallel port. I purchased a Netgear PS101 and it works great under Windows, Linux and OS X.

For your other question, they probably only have to enable sharing in System Prefs to "see" each other. The router they are on probably assigns DHCP addresses that are in the same block so the only thing preventing access is their own system's security.

Find the IP addresses of each machine. Then try "ping ip_address_goes_here" in terminal.app, and assuming everything else is set, you should be able to Finder->Go->Connect to Server (or Finder->Go->Network). Double check that sharing of the type you wish is turned on in System Prefs.

GL!

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

4. douglasb7 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Good to hear! Happy parents + Happy Mac = Less support calls. :)

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Your welcome.

Glad that I could help!!

Cheers
    :):apple: