Networking Ubuntu Linux And Os X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lallenlowe, Nov 16, 2007.

1. lallenlowe macrumors member

Ok, Right Now I Have Ubuntu Running On My Wifes Pc Desktop, (got Her Away From Windows For Good At Least). And I Have It Set Up Using Samba, But Samba Seems Slow, And I Had To Type In The Ip Address Of My Macbook To Connect To It. Is There A Way For Ubuntu To Use Afp, Or Os X To Use Nfs? I Really Want Them To Be Able To See Eachother Without Typing Ip's, And Using A Faster Standard. Does Anyone Know Much About Linux-os X Networking?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, it's possible to network via afp with Linux, but I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, so don't know whether it comes pre-configured. If it doesn't you'll have to install it yourself. Take a look HERE for more info.

3. lallenlowe thread starter macrumors member

That's a start

Thanks so much for the help. although, That seems really complicated, and a little outdated. I will try to get that running, but in the mean time, does anyone else have any better suggestions?

lallenlowe

4. lallenlowe thread starter macrumors member

5. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Netatalk is the way to go. Perhaps check the Ubuntu forums for more specific instructions on how to configure it in that environment. I use it to serve shares to my macbooks from my Fedora server... it's fast and reliable. OS X can do NFS but it's kludgy compared to afp.