Networking via Airport Extreme or Belkin Share Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by u6crash, Jan 11, 2011.

1. u6crash macrumors member

u6crash

Since Saturday I've been having trouble connecting to the internet. For the last 18 months we've been connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station (2003) which in turn is wired to a Motorola SB5101 cable modem. Every time I had called the ISP (Comcast), they've been able to get it going while I was on the line by restarting the modem (which I tried before calling). Last night nothing would work no matter how many times I rebooted the modem and after many trial and errors, we were able to get connected to the internet by hooking my MBP directly to the ethernet cable from the modem and taking the Airport out of the equation. The service rep decided my router was likely at fault and I wasn't inclined to argue as it is an old router and things do break over time.

However, I ran out and bought a brand new Belkin Share wireless router and now neither that nor the Airport can connect to the internet even when the lights on the modem say all is well. Unfortunately, the Belkin came with it's own software package for router management and setup, which I'm not too keen on. It kept saying it couldn't connect to the modem or that the internet connection to the modem was lost. In tonight's efforts, I'm always able to plug my MBP right into the modem and get a connection, but as soon as I move that cable to the Airport or the new Belkin, my internet is gone. The Airport connection in the Network section of System Preferences always comes up as connected, but the Belkin glows dark red instead of green and the accompanying software says no connection to the internet can be found.

Does this sound more like the fault of the modem, the ISP, or me, the user? Any help would be much appreciated. Although I am able to connect now, my roommate's computer doesn't even have an ethernet port.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

hmmm... sounds like its a configuration issue for the wireless components is the issue, since Ethernet connection works - have you checked the wireless settings?

3. u6crash thread starter macrumors member

u6crash

The individual wireless device settings? I've gone into Airport Setup Utility and nothing seems especially out of place except the that IP addresses don't seem similar to any I've seen elsewhere. They are supposed to be updated automatically with DHCP, no?

4. u6crash thread starter macrumors member

u6crash

Hrm. It's working now, but I'm not sure why. The only change I made (aside from multiple resets of the Airport and modem) was to change Connection Sharing under the Internet Connection tab of the Airport Utility to "Distribute a range of IP addresses" instead of "Share a public IP address". Should it have been one way or the other? I've never understood much about networking.