Networking with Airport

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by agrats84, Dec 1, 2007.

1. agrats84 macrumors member

I'm new to this mac thing and just bought a new iMac. My dad now wants to buy a macbook and is wondering if we can do away with our linksys router and just set up an airport? Is this equivalent to a Windows network? Is this more secure and user friendly compared to our network now?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It is still best to use a router to set up a wireless network. Unless you need 802.11n I would stick with your current router and save some money. I do not know if you currently have 802.11 a, b, or g since it was not specified in your post. Basically 802.11n will give greater wireless range and quicker file transfers between computers on your home network. However it will not affect your internet connection speed, except for possibly 802.11b on a very high speed home internet connection.

If you do not want a router, you can connect a modem to your iMac's ethernet and share the connection through its wireless card to the Macbook. However this solution can be problematic and the iMac has to be turned on 24/7.

If you must have 802.11n I would recommend buying a cheaper solution than Apples Airport. You can get either of these from D-Link. Some purists will say only buy Airport but I like D-Link products and they are cheaper:D.
    D-Link DIR-625 10/100 Ethernet and 802.11n Draft
    D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit Ethernet and 802.11n Draft

3. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i am assuming that both computers are 802.11n enabled, i enjoy the integration immensely... i would recommend the airport especially if your old router really old. You would get the most out of everything.