Networking with an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by clyde88, Dec 7, 2007.

1. clyde88 macrumors newbie

Well, i have been a pc user forever, but when i saw the iMac in bestbuy, i fell in love. But now i have some questions.

I'll assume that a powerhorse like the imac should have wireless built in, so thats not a "question"

1. I have a ipod 2G 4GB nano, and a ipod classic 80GB, and was wondering if there was a way to use a wireless router to fileshare between both the imac and pc, so i wont have to transfer all the songs using a external hdd.

2. I obviously want internet on the imac, but since im such an imac newbie, would i need the airport express, or will the imac recognize the network if i put a regular wireless router(because it costs much less)

3. If the above works, can this enable printer sharing?

4. Would i use 802.11N or 802.11G? Because my internet is 21MB/s(Which i was told is UBER FAST!)
    [​IMG]

2. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

3. clyde88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Firstly, i would like to thank you for your help. So far, i understand everything that you are saying. Now, with the 4th answer, i understand that you said if theres a slow device on the network, then it will defeault to the slowest device.

Now is there a printer sharing tutorial, because when i had my first laptop, i couldn't even print share with Xp and vista(laptop had vista, pc had XP) without upgrading them both to vista, let alone Leopard and vista(i mean come on one is good and one is really, really, bad)

4. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Hi Clyde88, pleased you found my response useful.

I must admit, printer sharing between Macs is **absolutely dead easy** - but I have always found it such a pig to share with Windows XP (never tried Vista).

However, you could give this a try... in System Preferences on the Mac side, go to Sharing - tick both WINDOWS SHARING, and PRINTER SHARING.

On the Windows side, you need to download a utility called Bonjour for Windows:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

Articles around there somewhere should also help you. I haven't done this with Windows for such a long time, that when and if I need to, it's just as easy for me to email the document to myself, and print it on the Mac or alternatively stick it on a USB stick and again, print from the Mac - (this has always been my Windows XPerience). PS: ensure your windows firewall allows mac incoming/outgoing connections - Bonjour should help with this.

good luck! :)