Networking with ethernet and wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spunklemonkey, Dec 22, 2008.

1. spunklemonkey macrumors member

Ive got file sharing setup between mac and windows just to transfer files once in a while and this works through the wireless. I had to transfer a big file and it was taking ages, so I thought Id use an ethernet cable from the imac to the pc. So how could I connect this and get it to transfer via the ethernet not the wireless?

I couldnt figure it out so I just disabled my wireless router (turned it off) is this the only way?

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

connect to two via ethernet and turn on wireless.

Go to system preferences, sharing, Internet.

Enable internet sharing to computers using Ethernet. see if that works.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If they are connected directly to each other rather than through the router you should be able to do your file sharing that way. The Ethernet adapters will need to be in a different IP Range (this probably is not the correct term).

Anyways say your router uses 192.168.0.XXX for all of its DHCP server addresses. Then use the 192.168.1.XXX grouping for your Ethernet adapters by manually assigning their addresses. When connecting to the shared volume from Mac OS X rather than navigating through the network via a Finder windows go to the Go menu and connect to server or :apple:+k and type in the IP address of the Windows computer (smb://192.168.1.XXX). Make sure to add the SMB otherwise it will be trying to find an Appletalk device rather than a Samba device.

To make the connection more reliable when configuring the adapters I would list the router address on each computer just use the IP address of the adapter you are trying to connect to.

Mac
    IP Address 192.168.1.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.1.2

PC
    IP Address 192.168.1.2
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.1.1

4. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

I dont fully understand the whole ip address thing, never have! my router seems to have an ip, my pc does and i guess the mac does, and also the laptop.

ill try post two, as there not connected through the router its just one ethernet cable to transfer files. Direct from pc to mac, so not using the router in this instance but I think I see what you mean if i was to use a router connect to the ip address. I guess that would bypass using the wireless but I dont know.

one solution is just to turn off the airport card which I tried, which is easier than me going to turn off all the wireless stuff (downstairs) so if all else fails I can use that when needs be and ill try post 2 or direct ip connection, thanks for the information! (not at the mac now to try)

5. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

Ive tried using internet sharing, sent a file but it went over the wireless as it was very slow. Maybe its because ive got the computer in the shared column in finder, it automatically mounts and shares on startup. I turned off airport and it wouldnt send, and it wouldnt connect to the shared pc. So I logged out and in and then its connected only via the ethernet cable (as airport off)So I guess this is the way to do it?

Ive tried the ip address, it doesnt find the pc strangely, even though its the right ip address.

cheers