Networking with Mac.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btcomm, Apr 6, 2007.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

If you have multiple mac computers connected through a network, you can log in as guest with no password and gain access to the public folder or you can log in with the admin username and password and gain access to all the data in that users folder right? I haven't done it for a while but I think I remember that being how it worked.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. MacVault macrumors 65816

Yea, but I hate how the permissions work in Mac OS X in that even when logging in as an admin on a machine, over the network or locally, I still get little red dots on any files under all profiles other than the account I'm logged in as. This means even as the administrator I cannot access the files/folders of the other users, unless I want to view info and change their permissions.

Am I doing something wrong? I would love to know.

4. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

You have all the smae permissions that you have on your computer, so if there is a file that when you are on that mac, that you can't access even as an administrator, you can't access it when you log in as that person over a network.

5. MacVault macrumors 65816

Right, but this is where Windows XP is so nice... as an administrator or Domain Admin I can log in locally or via the network as the admin or domain admin and have full access to ALL files.

On Mac OS X... when trying to access another user's files or folders locally or via network I get the following error message... "The folder/file blahblahblah would not be opened because you do not have sufficient access priveledges."

Now if I'm the freeking ADMINISTRATOR for cryin out loud, I DAMN WELL BETTER HAVE SUFFICIENT ACCESS PRIVELEDGES! WTF!? :mad:

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Boy, I probably shouldn't be touching this one, but I think we're talking about a terminology difference. "Administrator" just means being able to change settings and so on. To get the level of access you're talking about, I think you need to login as "Root." Then you have the authority to completely screw up your computer system.

On Windows, "Administrator" is roughly equal to "root" on a Mac.

But again, this is not at *all* my area of expertise, so I could be getting this completely wrong.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are correct. This terrible MacOS X BSD-based permissions model is also one of the reasons we have no viruses or other malware.