Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
I have a i686 (Intel Celeron 400mhz) based redhat server under my stairs set up as a Samba fileserver, Apache webserver and MySQL DB Server.

since Samba was designed so linux machines (and now macs) could exist on windows networks, I set up the redhat box to use samba. Now I've ditched the PC completely (wahey!), but I'm still using samba for filesharing with my mac.

Obviously this isn't an ideal situation. Whats the best way to 'do' filesharing between the two? I don't know masses about Linux, but I'm keen to find out the best way to network the two. As great as Samba is, i'm thinking that having my mac and the server set up to 'behave' well on a windows network is probably fairly crude.

I'm guessing that AFP is the way to do it but I know nothing about it, any pointers?

MrJ

dantux

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
AFP for Linux?

Hi!

One way to properly share files between Linux and MAC, is through NFS, since both systems are UNIX cousins.
Now with the new Time Machine in Leopard, AFP seems to be the ideal solution. I'm looking for some pointers on how to make Linux behave as a AFP server.... Any ideas?

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
What I think you need is an AFP daemon called netatalk.

I have seen it work on Fedora Core, which is (from what I can see) not all that different from Red Hat. Here's the link and good luck with it: http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/

Edit: Optionally, you might be able to install it from the Livna repositories via yum.

dvd

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Massachusetts
Yep, I use netatalk and it works great. I've had it running under both Fedora (FC5) and Red Hat (RHEL5/CentOS5). Install from a repo if able. What version of Red Hat are you running? I may be able to offer some pointers. I tried NFS for a while, but didn't recover well from my Mac laptops sleeping and waking. Configuring netatalk is very straightforward.

§€NTiN€L

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
I have been trying to install afp in FC7 but for some reason I can't seem to get it right.

Is there a good step by step for this somewhere?

I have installed netatalk and avahi-tools (for mdns) but don't know how to configure them so that it shows up in the finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.