Networking with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheRE, Nov 6, 2009.

1. TheRE macrumors newbie

I just got myself a new computer with Windows 7 today, and I'm hoping to create a network with my macbook (running Snow Leopard) so I can drop files from my mac into folders on my PC and vice versa. I'm very new to networking, but I've been trying my best. As of now, I can access my macbook by going to my network tab in Windows (As you can see in the screenshot below) But I have no clue how to connect to my PC from my macbook. Going to Network yields no results. If someone could help walk me through it, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Attached Files:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

enable File Sharing in System Preferences and turn on SMB (Windows) sharing in the options. this should get file sharing working between your Mac and PC. the PC should show under Shared in the Finder sidebar.

3. TheRE thread starter macrumors newbie

^ I have SMB enabled and everything (Used another screenshot to confirm this is what you mean) But nothing appears on my sidebar on my mac. Is there something I need to do in Windows?

Attached Files:

4. Wayne s macrumors regular

Try...Finder>Go>Connect to server. You will need to enter a Server Address like this smb://yourpc

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

on the PC right click My Computer and click on the name tab. what is written beside Workgroup? if its anything other than "workgroup" try typing that into Workgroup under the WINS tab in advanced Network preferences. disconnect and re-connect both from the network if it doesnt work.

6. TheRE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank ya much. Worked like a charm. I'd been trying the connect thing, but I had no clue what to put there. So simple. Thanks again!

7. _themilkman macrumors member

Hey Guys -

I'm having the same issue - to the OP, can you clarify if you got this working using the Connect to Server method (which i have got working) or the other method suggested?

I would prefer my iMac to find my 7 systems by default rather than me having to specify it each time i reboot.

Cheers!

C.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

You can also load Bonjour for Windows on each box and if there is a share it will automatically pop up in the Finder. However, I loaded Norton 360 and it killed it so if you put a fire wall on there you may have issues. Connecting via SMB works fine though and I use this syntax...

smb://WORKGROUP;USER@COMPUTERNAME/SHARE

9. TheRE thread starter macrumors newbie

@Carl Bembridge

I used the SMB method, worked great. I just did command+K and type smb://TSPC and then entered my password info. I suppose it would be nice to have it connect automatically, but, I'm not too worried. For the most part it's faster for me to transfer things to an external and move them to my PC. But it's fun to have a network :p

10. Xfactor macrumors newbie

Xfactor

The account on windows 7 (and vista) needs a password for letting other computers access the windows pc. It is also wise to look at your wireless home network settings in windows 7 if it refuses connections from other computers by default.