neutralizing the stink of smoke

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irishgrizzly, Mar 11, 2008.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Does anyone know of any natural ways to neutralize the smell of smoke? I got a camera case off ebay and it reeks. I've placed outside to air, but I'm not sure that'll do it.

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

usually fresh air should do the job sooner or later.

3. tringo macrumors regular

4. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

if you're impatient, try placing a saucer of white vinegar next it, or drop a little baking soda on it (and place the box in it). It does the trick.

5. Karstan macrumors member

Give it an ammonia or vinegar (ammonia works best) rub down then let it sit outside whenever possible. I had a camera like that that I got from ebay and didn't know it came from a smokers house. I did the bath/outside routine for 3 weeks every other day and now the smell is rather faint and i can barely smell it. I am sure by next week it will be unnoticeable (the smell that is!)

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Likewise, Fabreeze is supposed to get rid of those smells.
    I would also bitch to the seller for not disclosing it came from a home where they smoked. Smokers never realize the smoke gets everywhere regardless of what rooms you do and don't smoke in.

7. mrsollars macrumors regular

buy an ozone odor neutralizer. and not one of the 'ionic breeze' things....a commercial nuetralizer. they're used in the auto industry.
    my dad smoked since 2000 in his dodge ram. a few months ago i put one of the machines in it overnight...maybe 12-14hrs.....and it still smells like the ymca pool. i honestly wouldn't believe it if it wasn't my dad's own truck.

(sidenote: i'm sure those things cost thousands, but my friend / car salesman let me use it)

8. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Ditto.

I don't really trust things like Febreeze. Good old fashioned way works best for me. And everything else just covers up the smell.

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Start smoking. ;)

The suggestions made so far might help some, but really, if it's a padded fabric case you may never get rid of the smell completely. The smoke will have permeated the batting, and there's going to be little you can do to get it all out.

10. MikeT macrumors member

Not necessarily "thousands," but, yeah, those things are expensive.

Here's one for $779
    http://easonr.stores.yahoo.net/ozcarsysprof.html

11. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

if only smoking was illegal we would not have this problem, I currently have the same problem with a sofa.

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That certainly stopped the use of Pot, Coke, Crack, LSD, PCP etc..

Prohibition worked great too:rolleyes:. If you made smoking illegal you would guarantee making 80-90% of teenagers smokers (from the sudden illegal coolness factor) and increase smoking in other age brackets.

13. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I rented an ozone machine/odor neutralizer from one of the cleaning service companies (Serv-Pro, I think) for a weekend to deodorize a carpeted room in a new-for-me house. It worked so well, I bought a personal one for my basement and use it full time to get rid of mustiness and molds. It leaves a clean smell similar to peroxide.

Hotels use these for stinky rooms, too.

It really works. Houseplants don't like it, though.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Alright, alright, alright. I'm sure no one wants this thread moved to the PRSI forum...

15. Karstan macrumors member

well, back on topic....maybe i was just lucky but what i suggested really worked! The ammonia just doesn't cover up the odor, it neutralizes it. the fresh air helps a ton too but it won't take care of the whole odor.

16. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

When have you smoked LSD?

17. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

I was given a TV once that really reeked of smoke.

Took months to clear.

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

In some Euro countries they actually legalised the use of drugs, and made them free on their healthcare service. What they found is that people stopped doing it because it wasn't cool, and also there was much less violence, drug barons, and prostitution (to get money for smack). Sounds weird but works great.

19. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

So far I've just left it hanging on a nail outside for fresh air. Still reeks but I can get near it now without my eyes watering. I'm going to try white vinegar later. I used to smoke myself, gave up 5 years ago. I feel sorry for the non-smokers I lived my now :eek:.

20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Have you thought of making a sachet of baking soda to put in it? That may help..

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

While it's a bit of a waste as the effects are so muted you can smoke blotter.

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I had a camera bag that smelled pretty nasty...

I got it to clear out by:
    • Cleaning what I could with water
    • Letting it dry outside
    • Febreezing it
    • Letting it dry outside
    • Febreezing it
    • Letting it dry outside
    • Letting it sit outside for about 6 hours

It's cleared up quite nicely. I can use the bag now.

23. stevegmu macrumors regular

Removing the smell of embedded smoke is virtually impossible. There was an investment property I bought a while ago at auction. The couple who lived there were heavy smokers, and the only way we could get rid of the smell was to take out and replace all the drywall and flooring.

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm not sure about the camera, but my friend picked up a recliner off the street (it was free) and it smelled like smoke, but he put coffee beans all over it and now it doesn't smell at all (not even like coffee beans). Don't ask me why, but it works. Just a suggestion :eek:

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Tell you the truth. Prohibition did work. Drinking dramatically reduced in this country during those years. So did the deaths caused by drinking.

If they made smoking illegal it would drop by a lot because first the cost of cigerites would climb and they would be harder to get. Also it could no longer been done in the open for fear of getting in trouble. Also it is already illegal for teenagers to smoke so the "coolness factor" would not change. Also most teenagers think smoking is uncool and revolting.

Making something illegal never will stop it but it does reduce it by a huge amount. People do not naturally want to break the law.