Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Does anyone know of any natural ways to neutralize the smell of smoke? I got a camera case off ebay and it reeks. I've placed outside to air, but I'm not sure that'll do it.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
if you're impatient, try placing a saucer of white vinegar next it, or drop a little baking soda on it (and place the box in it). It does the trick.

Karstan

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Everywhere
Give it an ammonia or vinegar (ammonia works best) rub down then let it sit outside whenever possible. I had a camera like that that I got from ebay and didn't know it came from a smokers house. I did the bath/outside routine for 3 weeks every other day and now the smell is rather faint and i can barely smell it. I am sure by next week it will be unnoticeable (the smell that is!)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Likewise, Fabreeze is supposed to get rid of those smells.
I would also bitch to the seller for not disclosing it came from a home where they smoked. Smokers never realize the smoke gets everywhere regardless of what rooms you do and don't smoke in.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
buy an ozone odor neutralizer. and not one of the 'ionic breeze' things....a commercial nuetralizer. they're used in the auto industry.
my dad smoked since 2000 in his dodge ram. a few months ago i put one of the machines in it overnight...maybe 12-14hrs.....and it still smells like the ymca pool. i honestly wouldn't believe it if it wasn't my dad's own truck.

(sidenote: i'm sure those things cost thousands, but my friend / car salesman let me use it)

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Start smoking. ;)

The suggestions made so far might help some, but really, if it's a padded fabric case you may never get rid of the smell completely. The smoke will have permeated the batting, and there's going to be little you can do to get it all out.

MikeT

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
buy an ozone odor neutralizer. and not one of the 'ionic breeze' things....a commercial nuetralizer. they're used in the auto industry.
my dad smoked since 2000 in his dodge ram. a few months ago i put one of the machines in it overnight...maybe 12-14hrs.....and it still smells like the ymca pool. i honestly wouldn't believe it if it wasn't my dad's own truck.

(sidenote: i'm sure those things cost thousands, but my friend / car salesman let me use it)

Not necessarily "thousands," but, yeah, those things are expensive.

Here's one for $779
http://easonr.stores.yahoo.net/ozcarsysprof.html

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
if only smoking was illegal we would not have this problem, I currently have the same problem with a sofa.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
if only smoking was illegal we would not have this problem, I currently have the same problem with a sofa.

That certainly stopped the use of Pot, Coke, Crack, LSD, PCP etc..

Prohibition worked great too:rolleyes:. If you made smoking illegal you would guarantee making 80-90% of teenagers smokers (from the sudden illegal coolness factor) and increase smoking in other age brackets.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
I rented an ozone machine/odor neutralizer from one of the cleaning service companies (Serv-Pro, I think) for a weekend to deodorize a carpeted room in a new-for-me house. It worked so well, I bought a personal one for my basement and use it full time to get rid of mustiness and molds. It leaves a clean smell similar to peroxide.

Hotels use these for stinky rooms, too.

It really works. Houseplants don't like it, though.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO

Prohibition worked great too:rolleyes:. If you made smoking illegal you would guarantee making 80-90% of teenagers smokers (from the sudden illegal coolness factor) and increase smoking in other age brackets.

Alright, alright, alright. I'm sure no one wants this thread moved to the PRSI forum...

Karstan

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Everywhere
well, back on topic....maybe i was just lucky but what i suggested really worked! The ammonia just doesn't cover up the odor, it neutralizes it. the fresh air helps a ton too but it won't take care of the whole odor.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land

When have you smoked LSD?

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
In some Euro countries they actually legalised the use of drugs, and made them free on their healthcare service. What they found is that people stopped doing it because it wasn't cool, and also there was much less violence, drug barons, and prostitution (to get money for smack). Sounds weird but works great.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
So far I've just left it hanging on a nail outside for fresh air. Still reeks but I can get near it now without my eyes watering. I'm going to try white vinegar later. I used to smoke myself, gave up 5 years ago. I feel sorry for the non-smokers I lived my now :eek:.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I had a camera bag that smelled pretty nasty...

I got it to clear out by:
  • Cleaning what I could with water
  • Letting it dry outside
  • Febreezing it
  • Letting it dry outside
  • Febreezing it
  • Letting it dry outside
  • Letting it sit outside for about 6 hours

It's cleared up quite nicely. I can use the bag now.

stevegmu

macrumors regular
Removing the smell of embedded smoke is virtually impossible. There was an investment property I bought a while ago at auction. The couple who lived there were heavy smokers, and the only way we could get rid of the smell was to take out and replace all the drywall and flooring.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm not sure about the camera, but my friend picked up a recliner off the street (it was free) and it smelled like smoke, but he put coffee beans all over it and now it doesn't smell at all (not even like coffee beans). Don't ask me why, but it works. Just a suggestion :eek:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Tell you the truth. Prohibition did work. Drinking dramatically reduced in this country during those years. So did the deaths caused by drinking.

If they made smoking illegal it would drop by a lot because first the cost of cigerites would climb and they would be harder to get. Also it could no longer been done in the open for fear of getting in trouble. Also it is already illegal for teenagers to smoke so the "coolness factor" would not change. Also most teenagers think smoking is uncool and revolting.

Making something illegal never will stop it but it does reduce it by a huge amount. People do not naturally want to break the law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.