Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chocobavits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
I recently spoke with an ATT rep, and asked them if I could cancel an iphone data plan if i didn't still own an iphone. They told me I could as long as I was using a dumbphone on that line. Great!

I wanted an iphone4 (currently own 3gs), but didn't want the early contract upgrade cost. One of my relatives (on completely different service plan) never gets nice phones. He usually destroys his phones in about a month of use and just buys another gophone to put his current sim into. He agreed to buy an iphone4 upgrade online and cancel the data plan that month so I could use the phone.

This exchange seems kind of complicated and I've read some conflicting things about transfers like this. I've read about people doing "upgrade swaps", but those seem to always be on the same account. I don't think this applies to my situation.

Questions:

1. Does he need to activate the iphone 4 normally, and then use mini-micro adapter with the new sim for his current dumbphone?

2. Can he completely ignore activating the new sim, and I can put my current 3gs cut sim into the phone? I've read that you can't activate an iphone4 unless it uses the default/new card.

3. If the iphone4 isn't normally activated, will there be any issue with his account, or does ATT automatically start billing for data use after the phone is sold?

4. Ideally, if he doesn't have to activate it at all, could I just go by an ATT store and get a micro-sim for my account? I can cut my sim, but if att will give me a free sim then I wouldn't bother.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've read so many different answers for different scenarios that I just can't figure it out.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can both go to AT&T and do an upgrade swap.
They will provide you with a microsim and he will just renew his contract and you will get the iphone and data plan on your account.
Many people have been doing that.

chocobavits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
I can upgrade swap with someone on another account? That doesnt sound right. Can anyone confirm that? I forgot to mention that I did already order the phone online.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You're welcome.
I dont see why you cant go to AT&T and say Im using my friends phone upgrade and I want you to give me a microsim and activate the phone under my account. There's nothing illegal or wrong with what you're trying to do. Many people have been swapping phones and using others upgrade to get the iphone.
If you want to go into cutting your sim, activating it under his account then having him cancell his data and get a new simcard cause the microsim wont fit in his dumbphone and many other hoops to jump its up to you.

chocobavits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
UPDATE:

I got the phone in the mail today. Setup was very easy, and with no problems. I simply plugged the iphone 4 into itunes until the phone said "awaiting activation". At this point I unplugged it. Included instructions tell you to go to ATTs website and activate the new sim card. I just cut my original sim card to the correct size and put it in. The phone immediately activated and had a signal.

It is a myth that you have to activate using the included sim card. The phone only requires an active ATT sim of any kind. I didn't have to do anything to the dumbphone sim.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
UPDATE:

I got the phone in the mail today. Setup was very easy, and with no problems. I simply plugged the iphone 4 into itunes until the phone said "awaiting activation". At this point I unplugged it. Included instructions tell you to go to ATTs website and activate the new sim card. I just cut my original sim card to the correct size and put it in. The phone immediately activated and had a signal.

It is a myth that you have to activate using the included sim card. The phone only requires an active ATT sim of any kind. I didn't have to do anything to the dumbphone sim.

Its not a myth, some got really stuck and couldnt get nowhere without the original sim and the owners billing zip code and last 4 of his social in order to activate it for the first time.
But Im glad it worked out.
Enjoy your new iphone:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.