never been more convinced i made the right choice with my mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utl768, Jan 29, 2011.

1. utl768 macrumors 6502

after years of going thru pc after pc and having them all fail and have problem after problem i finally bought a mac mini on black friday and tonight ive been more convinced its the right choice, tonight every pc in my house (my mom still uses 2 pc's) decided to stop connecting to the router tonight, only things that connect to the router right now are my iphone ipad and mac mini

its kind of ironic but atleast for me shows that macs have elminated the computer headaches ive had since way back with windows 95

2. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

3. Remmnever macrumors member

My MPB occasionally drops off the router also. Usually a reboot of the router solves it for a few weeks.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Agreed OP. I'm a windows tech and have been for many years. I stopped using Windows machines when Vista came out and it was literally impossible to copy large amounts of data from drive to drive (service pack 1 fixed this). I bought a mac to get personal projects finished and haven't looked back since.

I hate having to use Win machines at work and their constant problems remind me each day of how much I love my mac.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:) i ditto this. ignore the trolls i say, its wonderful to hear somebody who loves their macs - i know i do!

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

We just bought 3 new MBPs in our company, and the same thing is happening. In our case, the machines connect to the network, but can't connect to anything. The only solution is to restart the router. Happened with both the router in the office and at home. Weird...

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

And this story is anecdotal evidence for what exactly? That you don't know how to setup a router and its network clients?

You probably also believe that your Mac Mini would magically turn into a pile of garbage when somebody deleted OS X from its hard disk and installed Linux or Windows on it and put a Dell logo where the Apple Logo is.

Dude, your Mini uses the same cheap electronic components as every other PC in its class. The only difference is that it has a restricted and proprietary FreeBSD-based operating system pre-installed on it with a GUI that does not allow for much customization and configuration. In other words, even for illiterate idiots it's very hard to break because it doesn't let you access its guts like Linux or Windows do. It's not a magic bullet or superior design. It's the lack of functionality on the surface that makes it ah-so stable.

Linux, Windows and OS X have reached a level where it basically doesn't matter anymore which one you're using on the desktop. OS X just looks a bit more tasteful out of the box, that's all, but even that is only a matter of personal preferences.

8. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Check your MTU settings...that can cause issues at times.

9. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

What is lacking? I agree with Linux. Of all the OS's mentioned, it really does let you tweak it to the limit from command line to customized GUI's ala Gnome, or KDE [there's others, but those are the most used].

Windows doesn't let you get to the "Guts" at all. The difference is you can change some window settings, colors, etc. All the big customizations come from 3rd party window managers/themes. Good luck with that when it breaks. Not IF..but WHEN.

I think his argument is that of all the systems you can purchase, that Mac's are the most polished start - finish. I agree, they are. This comes from an IT person; 19 years in the industry. I've used them all, including old SUN systems/workstations. Speaking from the corporate side, folks want nothing more than consistency, stability, and keeping things simple. Less to break, less to maintain.

In the end it's choice. Get what you want/like. It's about the experience.

10. r0k, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

My introduction to Apple gear was a used Quadra. What a joke. I enjoyed playing with it but it wasn't very useful. Meanwhile, I was having so much trouble with all the windows boxes that I started using Linux for file servers and loved the stability. They only rebooted for power failures and kernel updates. I was duly impressed. When OS X came out and I found out it had Unix underneath, I got a Mac Mini. It wasn't my main machine, but I used it remotely from my Windows and Linux boxes via VNC. As time went on, I found that the tinkering I had to do with Linux wasn't needed on OS X. I also found that I never ever had to fix something that suddenly stopped working. The die was cast and as soon as I could afford it, I replaced all the windows boxes in the house with Macs. I had all the customization I could ever want if I wanted to bother with Terminal but I found I really could live with the OS as delivered from Apple.

Moving to Apple gear was the beginning of my transition from computer tinkerer to computer user. Sure I can still tinker if I choose to, but I find it is not a priority for me right now. So I have a handful of Linux boxes still around, half a dozen Macs and no windows boxes for which I am responsible.

I still have 2 windows boxes to put up with. My work issued win 7 craptop and my daughter's school mandated windows 7 craplet. Both are less reliable than any of our Macs and that pretty win 7 interface is like putting lipstick on a pig. Are all 3 OSs reliable? Yes, to a certain extent. But if I had to rank them, I'd place OS X at the top, Linux in the middle and Win 7 at the bottom. Despite the fact that today's bottom is not as low as it once was (Vista :eek:), Apple gear still outshines anything running software out of Redmond, Wa.

Here is one specific example. On my win 7 work pc desktop is a clock widget. It stops telling time. Can you believe it? A clock gadget written and distributed by Microsoft can not tell the freaking time?!? The conventional wisdom on the 'net is to close and restart the clock because IE 8 interferes with gadgets. Let's see. A web browser written by the company that wrote the OS causes something else in the OS to stop working. K can't help but be reminded of the design of mechanical clocks. We have a several decades old grandfather clock with a westminster movement that predates automatic pendulum regulation. Moving the clock always leads to several days of tinkering with the movement. This is like Windows. Meanwhile a modified westminster movement is now available that automatically sets the pendulum. This is like OS X. From the behavior of the clock gadget, and other quirks I have witnessed, I have come to the conclusion that underneath all that fancy Win 7 aero appearance, other horrors lurk that can trace their roots all the way back to windows 3.11 for workgroups. I've had way more than enough.

In the end, the question of whether you made the right decision buying a Mac boils down to whether or not it can run the software you need it to run. There is still a lot more variety in Windows software but I have found OS X paid and freeware more than meets my needs. If you find you need a windows box for some reason, it will work "well enough", but if you are tired of "good enough" and want to experience software written by a company that understands "end to end" user experience, OS X is a pleasant upgrade and like me, you'll probably never look back.

11. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

It always does my heart good to hear from a new, satisfied Mac user, and see all these great testimonials of support, and of course, one passionate defender of Windows. All seems right with the world for at least a little while.
    Welcome to the Mac community, utl768. The vast majority of switchers, I think, all have tales to tell of trouble with their Windows boxes.
    The revolution continues, one Mac at a time.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

:p

In spite of my own small issues with our new MBPs - it is funny though how one little thing can influence your impression of a new machine/platform. I was talking to a waitress at lunch, who just bought an MBA because her old PC used to lose Wifi connectivity when she went out to the hallway. Seems a bit random to me, but she raves about it for that reason.

I remember a classmate in college who hated Macs because there wasn't any "#" character on the keyboard (which is frequently needed for programming). Of course it's possible to type it via a key combination, but if you don't know it...