Never Bought A Mac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbailey, Nov 27, 2008.

1. jbailey macrumors newbie

Ok so I am in the market for a Mac Air laptop, I have never purchased an Apple product aside from the Ipod, I would like any advice that someone would have on the best price, im not looking to spend more then 1300 dollars, but I am having a hard time figuring out which Mac laptop is the latest, what about refurbished?

2. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

hmm, Mac Air, that would be a pretty good name for the next Mac mini.

3. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I'm going to be totally honest with you, If you take a look at the Macbook Air threads, your will find a majority of bad results. I don't personally own one but I would say by and MB or a MBP. The air dosent make much sense to me.

4. jbailey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks..

Thank You for your response and for not insulting my intelligence because im a newbie unlike the other poster

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you're looking for a laptop on a $1,300 budget, it sounds like you're looking at a MacBook, unless you look at used or refurb. (As of tonight, the lowest price I found on a refurb Air is $1,399 for the previous generation model.)

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Might want to read the post above yours then.

7. jbailey thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that the latest model on that site? Should I even bother with getting a Macbook Air ? Its a gift for someone, and I think they just want the Macbook Air because of the "coolness" factor, but im not entirely convinced, I know it will be a Mac product, but I can convince them that a Macbook Air wasnt the best option.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, you won't find the newest Air for under 1300 dollars. Look at the MacBooks on Apple's site.

9. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I think the Aluminum Macbook MB466LL/A is much better for most people. $1,299, about same foot print as Macbook Air, only a very slightly bit thicker and heavier, and fewer feature compromises.

I think it would fill the bill for 90% of random users, and I say this as a self-identified member of the 10% that decided to pay more for a Macbook Pro.

10. jbailey thread starter macrumors newbie

you guys are awesome! I have been giving myself a crash course on Mac products, beyond the Ipod I own, over the last few days. So the advice is definitely helpful and will be put to use.

11. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Yes, get the new aluminum Macbook. It is a great choice and way more useful than the airbook. I think the MB is way cooler than the air.

Don't take the Mac Mini comment as an insult. There are plenty of insults here at my favorite Mac Discussion site but That one was weak;). I mainly quote his comment 'cause I am a Mac Mini Fan and he is so right. I hope he is wrong though. See, the joke is, the mini is not powerful enough either and it is made of notebook parts.

Have Fun and welcome aboard. Mick

12. jbailey thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ive done alot of research, just did some wikipedia reading on MacBooks, and yes im such a newbie I didnt get his joke :rolleyes:

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I did. There's no MacBook Air on the link.

Attached Files:

14. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Type Macbook Air in the search box on that link.