Never buy a Sena Case!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 499357, Dec 2, 2011.

1. 499357 Guest

I bought a Sena Ultraslim for my iPhone 4s. used it for a couple of weeks and thought it was good pouch. But now I noticed scratches on both sides of the steel band because of the fabric rails hug the phone so tightly. Apple are saying it'll cost me £140 to get replaced and Sena are saying they'll give me a replacement case. Surely Sena should pay for this as it's their design that caused this? I basically paid £25 to scratch my iPhone. :mad: Has anyone else had this with the case?

Attached Files:

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Damn! That's one hell of a scratch.

I would definitely demand Sena to pay for the damage caused for sure.

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

that is very weird. i am sorry for what happened!

i use my 4S naked now, but i used the ultraslim on my 3gs and 4. it was my favorite, and the only case/pouch i would use on my iphones. i actually recommend them since its so thin and sleek. i dont see how the leather could have scratched your phone. :/

are you sure there was no dirt or sand inside the pouch?

4. 499357 thread starter Guest

Thanks!

Yeah before I put the phone in I would always blow into the pouch and hold it upside to to make sure there's nothing in there. Also both sides have the marks, the left side is worse though. If I feel inside the case it feels as though the sides which support the steel band are kindof hard and frayed. I'm certain it's a design flaw and not dirt.

I doubt Sena will pay the £140 to replace it :(

5. bobby68, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

bobby68 macrumors member

I bought the slim Sena case for my iPhone 4.

First the leather was very thin and did not make a good impression, compared to my Knomo slim leather case for my old 3GS. On the Apple side the Sena looked the same as the Knomo, but in real life it doesn't match the quality of the Knomo at all.

What was even worse, the fit was extremely tight. I could only have got the iPhone 4 in the case, if I really mashed it in there. And i wonder how I would ever get it out again...

So, the iPhone 4 have never been in the Sena case, I continued using my Knomo case from my 3GS. The Knomo is a very beautiful and well made case, wiht thick and soft leather that feels superior to the Sena case.
    The price was the same though...

So I have no difficulty imagine the Sena case doing that damage to an iPhone 4.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

That's terrible. I considered getting that case too, the one that has the baseball stitching in the back. I wonder if this is safer than the one's that are stitched in the sides.

Thanks for the heads up.
    [​IMG]

7. 499357 thread starter Guest

Yes, I want to make sure people are cautious with this product!

Sena replied to my first email telling me to send the case back to them in the US (I live in the uk) and they'll send me a replacement. So I wrote back basically telling them i think it's their responsibility to pay for it. I haven't had a reply in 24 hours now....

Do I have any rights here, or am I pretty much screwed?

8. dommo92 macrumors member

OUCH. Came in here expecting a small unnoticeable scratch. Just cough up the dough and buy a replacement!

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

They are not going to repair yopur phone. there are other cases that will damage your phone but the case maker is not going to do a thing.

It is just life.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Is it a deep scratch or just a "overpolished" part of the steelband that reflects light differently? In the latter case you could probably polish it away.

Although I simply wouldn't care too much. It's just a phone after all.

12. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

OP, you did not mention any attempts to try to clean the scratches.

I have an iKonicEdge pouch on my 4s and while there were some surface anomalies in the same area your scratches show, which do look like they are in the area where the internal stitching touches my phone, they cleaned/polished off rather easily with a basic lens cleaning wipe (did this just now). After cleaning very close examination shows nothing at all on my side bands.

Mike

13. 499357 thread starter Guest

Hey thanks people! I used a bit of hob cleaner after your advice and it pretty much worked! I had to rub for a good 5 minutes but it did disappear. That side of the phone is a lot shinier and feels different from the rest of the phone now but I'd rather than than a scratch/mark.

Now do I give the case another shot or not...in thinking I'll just use the phone naked from now on!

Thanks again :)

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm curious, when you say "a lot shiner", does the brushed steel look polished or did it still retain its brushed steel look? Some polish will remove the matte brushed finish to make it look like glossy polished steel.

Can you post a photo to compare before and after treatment? Thanks.

15. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I have purchased a Sena case for my wife and for myself, both of them have since fallen apart. I also had a Sena case for my iPad, which disintegrated over time. Their stuff is nicely designed, but poorly constructed. I won't ever buy another one. 0-3 on Sena products so far.

16. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Here is a reply from Sena when I enquired whether their case scratches the antenna band:

"We have sold thousands of UltraSlims, and the case is no more prone to scratching the matte metal antenna then any other case. The problem is with the antenna on the 4 series is the matte finish. No matter how soft the material is, it will eventually polish (leave marks) on the bezel. Marks on the antenna do to cases are a fact with the iPhone design in our experience unfortunately. The stitching on the UltraSlim is not prone to scratching devices."

I ordered a black one for me and a pink one for the Mrs. I tried the case on my scratched-up iPhone 4 before my 4s arrived. It marked (left a dark line) on the band after one insertion and removal. However the mark did rub off but I am very reluctant in putting it on my new 64gb 4s.

I also tried the case with Lucky Labs spectra wrap installed and it left marks on the wraps and was even a tighter fit.

17. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Just a thought, to help minimize the possibility from scratches from any case, or even some "polishing" effect from a leather pouch, what are the thoughts here about perhaps using some car wax on the steel bands? (being careful of course to avoid key areas like the buttons and holes)

Of course the wax will eventually be worn in the area the pouch hits, but just hit it again with a fresh coat of wax.

Bad idea or good?

Mike

18. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

wow, these are not cheap either, thanks for the reviews guys

19. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

Come on now. ANY case/pouch that requires you to slide your phone WILL scratch your phone. All it takes is a speck of dust and you're rubbing your phone against it as you slide against it.

-SGD

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

hardly anybody is as as OCD about buying a used phone as some original owners are relax enjoy your phone..