Never ending issue!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thehappyhippie, Mar 19, 2014.

1. thehappyhippie macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (Late 2011) which seems to have a problem that can not be solved. I have had 0 problems with my laptop during the years I have had it and now I am having a string of problems.

The first of these problems began around 3 weeks ago. I was using my laptop for a few hours then It went suddenly to a completely blue screen with vertical lines. I would try booting into safe mode/hardware test/recovery mode with no avail. I have AppleCare so I proceeded to take my laptop to my local Apple repairer to see if they knew what the issue was. They never really told me what was wrong with it and proceeded to install a new logic board and screen. (I also upgraded my RAM to 8gb while I was there).

I used the computer for about a week and bam! My computer this time went to a grey screen then nothing. I restarted my computer by holding down the power button and waited. Now I cannot get past the loading screen (Apple logo circle spinning thingo). Again I cannot boot into safe mode/recovery/hardware test.

Again I take my computer to my repairer. I tell them the issue and they proceed in replacing my HDD, saying that it was "on its last legs". They also installed a clean install of Mountain Lion. Thinking my issue has been solved I downloaded programs I needed ect.

And now today, 2 days after I have been using my laptop I am having exactly the same issue. Using laptop normally, then agian black screen. Try restarting/hardware test ect and again I cannot boot past the loading screen.

Please help me before I throw this laptop out my window.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate has hit your MBP.

Radeongate's the infamous GPU failure that affects 2011 MBPs with Radeon GPUs.

There's been a long string of Radeongate incidents on these MBPs. Mine was also hit by it.

The only solution is a logic board replacement, and even that is not a guaranteed fix as Apple may use refurb boards.

3. thehappyhippie thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though they replaced the logic board 3 weeks ago?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Like I said earlier, it's not a guaranteed fix because Apple uses refurb boards in replacement parts as well.

The only real solution is to send it elsewhere for a reball of the solder (use leaded solder. The reason why Radeongate happened is because of the use of non-leaded solder).

5. thehappyhippie thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I just rang the people who repaired my laptop. Told him the issue and wouldn't have a bar of what I was saying about the GPU failing.

He said 'Its couldn't be a problem with the GPU because its loading the apple screen'. What a load of crap. He thinks its something to do with the Mac OSX.

Told me 'not to believe everything you read on the internet'.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

He deserves to have a stick shoved up his ass.

Booting does not require the GPU. Getting to the login screen does.

I've seen my fair share of GPU failures, so that guy is feeding you a truckload of crap. Besides, your earlier symptoms of getting blue screen and weird lines further reinforces the fact that it's a GPU failure.

You can visit MBP2011.com to see the Radeongate issue plaguing 2011 MBPs.

And you can also Google up 2011 MBP GPU failure for more results. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, my ass. Wired and CultofMac can't be wrong. It was even reported by MR as well (http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/17/2011-macbook-pro-gpu-glitches/ )

7. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

8. thehappyhippie thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it to get repaired once again. Heres hoping !

9. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

You know if you have apple care you can call apple and ship it out to them for repair. No need to deal with some clown who won't believe someone might know more than him.

10. broad macrumors member

if your original repair was at an AASP or apple retail store you should have warranty coverage for 90 days after the repair.

11. thehappyhippie thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay just got my MBP back. They told me they have installed a new logic board. Have been using it for about 45 minutes when I get the dreaded blue screen with vertical lines agian!! I restart the laptop and its normal again but it keeps happening randomly ?! Cannot believe it.

12. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

wow...:(
    time to get them to replace the set...

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Give that bloke who 'repaired' your computer a bloody earful, he deserved it for insisting that it wasn't a GPU failure.

Even better, even threaten him with a class-action lawsuit.

14. TheBSDGuy macrumors 6502

Sounds sort of like the infamous ball-gate-array problem that plagued so many of the early iBooks about 10 or 11 years ago. I had one of them and they never really got it fixed. Two replacement logic boards, followed by a free update to a G4 iBook. That fixed it. Get rid of the computer and replace it with a new one. Just keep taking it back because it sounds to me like this is a similar problem.

15. thehappyhippie thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been using gfxCardStatus and switched to 'Intergrated only' which has seemed to stop the blue screen issue. Heres hoping!

16. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Tell them this, and that you insist on getting another one. You've gone through way too much trouble already, and replacing it constantly doesn't seem to resolve the issue.